Subject: Re: Sachs 8/26/2002: [ebxml-cppa-negot] Negotiation Descriptor Document

Monica,

Let's continue this discussion on the negotiation listserver. It might
needle other people to join in.

Some replies below.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

                      "Monica Martin"
                      <mmartin@certivo.        To:       Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      net>                     cc:       "Monica Martin" <mmartin@certivo.net>
                                               Subject:  Sachs 8/26/2002: [ebxml-cppa-negot] Negotiation Descriptor
                      08/26/2002 11:25          Document
                      PM

I think I received some of my answers by reviewing the excerpt on
resending a previous offer or counter offer.

Have you generalized the counter pending offer to include the situation
where a previous counter offer will be reconsidered?  Do you have set
parameters for this part of the process?

MWS:  That is precisely the proposal that I posted to the list.  So far,
no one has responded except you (today). The point of my proposal was
to show a way to put the previous offer on the table by giving the
party that submitted it the initiative to submit the same one again.

What if multiple portions of previous counter offers are compiled as a
viable counter offer - how can you encompass all of those if they are
mutually exclusive to themselves and not the latest counter offer (some
of parts)?

MWS:  In my view, what you are describing constitutes a new counter offer
that could be submitted by either party. It would be up to the party
compiling the new counter offer from the previous ones to resolve any
mutual exclusivity.

MWS:  Understand that for Version 1, the subteam wanted a fairly simple
protocol.  That means submitting counter offers sequentially, one at a
time with only one party having initiative to send a counter offer at
any time.  Only one counter offer can be on the table at any time.
We also ruled out going back over previously agreed-to items.

You talk about conditionally accepted.  How do you determine what is
conditionally accepted, as the unit of work is still "in work?"

MWS:  "Conditionally accepted" refers to the counter offer
that the party is responding to, not to the
finished CPA. Its main purpose is to signal the other party that I want
to put his previous counter offer back on the table.  Note also that the
unit of work that is still open is the whole negotiation dialogue. The
transaction that transmitted a counter offer is closed as soon as the
response to it takes place. I picked the term
"Conditionally accepted" because the idea is that the party
might be interested in the other party's
last counter offer but the first party wants
to take another look at an earlier one before deciding.
I am more than happy to consider a proposal for a new name (or even a
different method). As I said, this is one of several questions I posted
that have yielded no responses other than yours today.

Thanks.
Monica