Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa-negot] updated message content

Bob,

Thanks.  I was not aware of that tool.

The situation is this:  If I prepare a CPA template to send you and it is
mostly based on the CPA template that you put in the registry, there are
two different things going on:
   I tell you in the NDD what is negotiable.
   I may have also modified other information from your CPA template but
   not made those items negotiable (not included in the NDD).

It's (2) that I hand in mind in my original suggestion. A diff tool will
give the combination of 1 and 2, which is probably sufficient.

However there is another answer which this discussion awakened in me.
Perhaps when I receive an offer, I should forget about what I might have
published as a CPA template and simply analyze the offer. In that case, my
original suggestion is not useful.

Is anyone else looking?

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

                      bhaugen
                      <linkage@interacc        To:       Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      ess.com>                 cc:       ebxml-cppa-negot@lists.oasis-open.org, Jean Zheng <jzheng@vitria.
                                                com>, Monica Martin <mmartin@certivo.net>
                      08/29/2002 03:09         Subject:  Re: [ebxml-cppa-negot] updated message content
                      PM

From: Martin W Sachs
> What do you mean by "diff"?  If you mean the Unix diff, the last time
> used it, lt did a character by character compare, which is not what we
want
> here.

I meant XML diff.  See below.

> Is there an "XML" diff, which can identify functional differences  and
> ignore the kinds of low-level differences that don't matter (e.g.
slight
> spelling differences in text fields that are for human information
only)?
> If so, and if it is a well-known program, then maybe we can skip
including
> the list of changes in the message.

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/xmldiffmerge

Google has lots more, but I thought I'd reference
your cohorts.

> As to your second question, if you send me a list of changes and I
don't
> trust you, I will do the detailed analysis anyway and call you a liar
if I
> find a discrepancy. If people feel that the sender's list of changes
cannot
> generally be trusted, then we might as well leave the list of changes
out
> of the specification.  Of course, if I can't trust you, it doesn't
make
> sense to negotiate with you at all.

It's easy to make a mistake.
I'm honorable, but not always precise...

-Bob Haugen