Subject: Sachs [ebxml-cppa-negot] 11/16/2002: Suspending the Negotiation

I would suggest we pend until after version 1 as this may require some
discussion with BPSS and BCP.

Thank you.
Monica

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin W Sachs [mailto:mwsachs@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 3:44 PM
To: ebxml-cppa-negot@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ebxml-cppa-negot] suspending the negotiation

One of Monica's comments points out that while section 13.3 mentions
suspending the negotiation, the specification does not define a protocol
for suspending.  We will need to define something for this purpose and
add
whatever is needed to the messages.  I suggest something like this:

- Suspension is used when the party that has the initiative to reply to
an
offer or counter offer needs more time than is permitted by the time
attribute that governs the response.
-The party that has the initiative to reply to an offer or counter offer
can send a "suspend" message.  This satisfies whatever time limit is in
effect and lets the other party know that the reply will come later.
- The same party then has the initiative to send the counter offer
later.
-  When the negotiation is suspended both parties shall use the
negotiation
identifier to keep track of the state information about the suspended
negotiation.
- Something should be said about the BPSS-level time attributes for the
suspension case.  Since the suspension introduces a delay but does not
terminate the collaboration, I believe that timeToPerform needs a value
long enough to permit suspension.

If doing this is out of scope, given the time remaining to do the work
on
version 1, I will remove the statement about suspension and add
something
to the futures document.

Comments, please.

Regards,