Subject: Re: nonrepudiation (signing messages)

Marty,

My take on this is that this element could take the form
of a Signature "template" which effectively provided
all of the requisite binding information including
reference URI(s) with only the Digest and actual
signature omitted. The IBM Alphaworks XSS4J DSig
implementation provides for use of a template
to drive the signing behavior, which is a nice
feature of the tool (IMHO).

I have successfully used the SignatureAlgorithm, HashFunction
and Protocol. I haven't used Certificate yet mostly
for implementation reasons.

Presently, the ebXML MS specification prescribes the
Transform algorithm(s) that MUST be used, as well as
the Reference URIs necessary for the header, but not the
payload item(s) since that would depend upon the Content-ID
or Content-Location URI which might vary from message to
message even of the same type. Thus, presently this is
not an issue. However, to make this more flexible, it might
be useful to have the ability to fully describe the Transform
as well.

Another approach would be to leverage the Reference element
from the DSig specification, omitting the DigestValue (like the
Signature "template" but without describing the full Signature.

Cheers,

Chris