Subject: Re: nonrepudiation (signing messages)

Dale,

Please see below.

Cheers,

Chris

Dale Moberg wrote:

> I think that adding the Reference will take care of the ambiguity
> of the penultimate TRP MSH version on the issue of what had been
> signed. I am not certain, though, that it completely
> solves the questions of 1. an alleged sender rejecting
> a receipt by saying that no such message was
> sent in the first place nor 2. the practical problem of
> coordinating reconcilation (unless some other basis
> for coordination (like messageid ) can be trusted
> as much as the  hash on the message sent that was
> signed for non repudiation of origin).
>
> I think both those issues
> point to recommending that the same
> Reference element is to be used both within
> the originating parties Signature and within the Receiving
> parties receipt.

I think (though to be honest, I haven't read this recently) that
this is what is recommended. It may not have been clearly
expressed, but this was certainly the intent (that the
Reference in the Ack is extracted from the Signature of
the original message being ack'ed).

As to the issue of an alleged sender disclaiming
having sent a message, they can do so only to the extent
that they can prove that their private, used to sign the
message, had been compromised before the message was
received by the original recipient. That I believe is clearly
outside the scope of the TR&P specification as it gets into areas
of law and PKI that aren't within our purview.

> Dale

begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Sr. Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris