Subject: RE: TPA reference element?

Yes, if LegalXML accomplishes what it intends to, the contracts might well
be in XML in the future.  Why don't we include the reference as an
alternative to a text string?

"Dale Moberg" <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com> on 06/26/2001 03:19:33 PM

To:   Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc:   <ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org>

Marty> We already have such an element although it is "hidden" :-)  In
the early
>versions of what became tpaML, we (IBM Res.) had a LegalText element.
The
>spec stated that this could be used to record the ID of an
accompanying>.
>paper contract.  When people inside IBM started advising us not to
tangle
>with the legal profession, we changed the element name to Comment and
that
>has persisted into CPP-CPA V 1.0.
>Since we have more recently seen that the legal community is in fact
>interested and friendly to us, I agree that we could add an element
>specifically for identifying an accompanying contract.  Presumably,
this
>element would be CPA-only.

Dale>Yes, only for the CPA. If these documents turn out to be
in an XML form (that is currently unclear to me), we might also
wish to consider adding References, following what Tony did
for the Business Process Specifications.

You never know, people might actually start using the Comment
element for comments!!

>Since it would be directly under the root
>element, we can enforce the restriction to CPA only in the DTD and
Schema.

Agree.

>We probably should use the term "TPA" only as an example of such a
>contract.

I suppose that something like "TermsAndConditionsInformationReference"
could be the "human readable" element name...

Dale Moberg <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com> on 06/26/2001 02:18:36 PM