Subject: RE: New work and loose ends

Dale,

my replies embedded below.

Dale Moberg <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com> on 07/20/2001 12:13:30 PM

To:   Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, Karsten Riemer
      <Karsten.Riemer@sun.com>, ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org
cc:   Stefano POGLIANI <stefano.pogliani@sun.com>,
      chris.ferris@east.sun.com, "Riemer, Karsten"
      <Karsten.Riemer@east.sun.com>

I think of this issue as the Conversation Correlation Handle
problem. In other words, how does the MSH know what
conversationId to stick on a response when it just receives
a response payload from an app?

MWS:  The MSH doesn't have to keep track of what conversationId to stick on
a response.  This is a piece of information that should come down from the
application with the reply message payload.  Of course that isn't spelled
out anywhere because the Messaging Service spec doesn't include an abstract
service interface for the MSH.  The conversationId in a reply is, of
course, the same as the conversationId in the message it is replying to but
there is no reason for the MSH to keep that kind of long term state
information when the upper levels have that information.

MWS:  If there is a concern about Party A understanding a conversationId
supplied by Party B, one answer is that
PartyA establishes a conversation generates a GUID as the conversationId,
maps it to whatever local handle it uses,  and sends the GUID in the
message. PartyB generates a mapping of that conversationId to whatever
local handle it is using. The conversationId created by PartyA is the one
the appears in all the messages of the conversation.  This approach matches
the current MSH spec, which has only one conversationId and requires it to
be unique to the two parties.

In general "notification from app"
and "submission to app"
components of a BSI are important
for MSH to "app" integration,
but I am not sure what assistance the
classical CPA and CPP provides
in easing this burden.

MWS:  I am not sure whether the above paragraph is specific to
conversations or is a general statement about signalling between the MSH
and the app. I view that as a MSH service interface matter, not a CPA
matter. As to conversations in the CPA, today, the CPA doesn't deal with
conversations in a normative way (except for concurrentConversations), nor
should it. The BPSS or any other collaboration protocol will have either an
implicit or explicit abstract definition of what goes into a conversation
and it is up to the application implementation to define the conversation
boundaries and pass down begin- and end-conversation signals to the
middleware. Of course, we may run into conversation semantics issues that
do require help in the CPA but so far we haven't.

The CCH problem is possibly "flavored" by the value of the concurrency
allowed (I am forgetting the tag name here),

MWS:  The concurrentConversations attribute of the ConversationConstraints
element.
This is meant only as an implementation assist to prevent one party from
overloading the other.

MWS:  I'm not sure what the CCH problem is. conversationId is the handle
and
its value is stated (in the TRP spec) as an implementation matter.  I
suppose
that an implementation could restrict concurrentConversations to limit the
number
of conversation handles but that seems unlikely in this era of Gbyte main
memories.

but that is the main
impact what we have represented has on this problem, that I recall right
this second.

I think that the question of what we as a group would do about
formulating a BSI contract should definitely be a distinct item.
It would be taking on something new, but certainly in line with
promoting
"easier, better, faster, interoperable" b2b integration methods.

MWS:  The term "BSI contract" is a little too abstract for me.  I believe
that what we (CPPA+BP+MSG) need to define is a software interface
between the legacy application bridge and the top of the BSI and an
abstract interface between the MSH and the rest of the BSI. Is that
what you mean by "contract"? I also believe that these interfaces should
not be
APIs but should describe function and leave the middleware implementers to
define the specific APIs.  I understand the counter-argument that a
normative
definition of the interface between the bridge and the BSI will enable
application code to run on everyone's BSI but I don't think that that
argument applies to the BSI-to-MSH interface. I do not expect MSH
implementations
to be sold separately from the whole middleware system.

It is certainly worth raising as a new potential work item either by you
or Karsten or both.