Subject: RE: message routing

Title: message routing
Dale

I agree with a lot that you have to say. But to call out a few points ...

>>>I think we are also going to need to revisit terminology, because the tag "Service" has gotten just too tangled up now to use.<<<

I agree. What I think we are really lacking is some good examples that show the relationship between a Business Process Collaboration, Business Transaction, Role, Service and Action. I have a clear picture in my mind of the relationship ... but I don't know if everyone will agree. I hope to send something to the list soon that we can have a constructive discusion.

>>> ... talking about the selling service or buying service is semantically like what had previously been called the role in a BP.<<<

I think they are very similar however there are some differences to my mind. Specifically, I think that services are re-usable in many roles and therefore many business processes. For example consider a company which sends an invoice to one of their customers and also makes an insurance claim of some kind ...
EXAMPLE 1
Buyer                   Seller
<----------------------Invoice
Invoice Response ------------>
Payment --------------------->
<-------------Payment Response

EXAMPLE 1
Insurer                Insured
Claim Response -------------->
<-------------Payment Response

The "Payment" part could be common to both even though the business process and the roles are the same. It could also result in the same messages being sent to the company's bank. I don't think that the bank would want to offer two different payment "services" just because they are part of a different business process.

>>>... what capabilities are being advertized when the "service" , "action" and "role" fields are included in a CPP? or a recipient ... are we saying anything more than we can handle the incoming payload so that the output response payload(s) can eventually be made available back to the sender (or to other nterested parties in the multilateral case)?<<<

I don't think so. How a message is handled by the recipient is up to that recipient. The sender of the message should not need to know.

Regards

David