Subject: RE: message routing

David,

The whole point of putting quantities like service and action in the
message header is that they enable routing directly to the application's
proper software entry point without something deeper in the system having
to parse the payload to figure out what is to be done with the message. The
question is whether the current set of message header quantities (service,
action, CPAId, conversationId, and, I hope, refToMessageId) is or isn't
sufficient for any conceivable application software structure. Arvola has
pointed out that two levels, service and action, are not sufficient and we
need to come up with a more general hierarchy.

Let's not confuse service/action and  role.  Service/action represents the
hierarchy of the application software structure; role represents the party
that performs the service in question.

Karsten Riemer has pointed out that the BPSS already provides for reusable
modules (representing specific services) that an be incorporated into a
BPSS instance document that represents a larger collaborative process.

 Role, mentioned in the CPA is the anchor for connecting a particular party
with a particular role in the BPSS instance document.  So, you might say
that role in the CPP is advertising which role in the BPSS document the
party plays.  (I am "seller" vs. I am "buyer").

Service and action in the CPP/CPA enable specific properties defined in the
CPP/CPA, such as particular delivery channels, to be associated with
specific business transactions in the BPSS instance document. While service
and action in the CPP are the same as service and action in the message
header, they serve a different purpose in the two places.  As I just said,
in the CPP/CPA, they are anchors for properties like specific delivery
channels.  In the message header, they are part of the information for
routing the message to the appropriate software entry point.

How a message is handled at the recipient is up to the recipient.  However
the whole purpose of teams like us is to figure out how to do things that
assist the job of the application writer.  They are called operating
systems and middleware.  It is well known that application-independent
middleware can play a big role in simply and efficiently routing the
messages to the right places, as long as the message header contains
elements that help the middleware do its job without looking into the
payload.

"Burdett, David" <david.burdett@commerceone.com> on 07/25/2001 03:40:35 PM