Subject: Re: PIP IDs

David,

Please see my comments below.

Cheers,

Chris

"Burdett, David" wrote:

> Hi Marty ...
>
> I think there is more of a inconsistency rather than a separation between
> the specs. As using the CPA and the Messaging specs together is not easy.

This has not been my experience. Quite the contrary I find them
quite complementary. If the statement is more along the lines of:
"we find it difficult to modify our implementation to leverage a CPA..."
then that may be so. However, a blanket statement such as the above
needs substantive evidence to back the (fairly inflamatory, IMO) claim.

> How about the following as a way forward ...
>
> 1. The Messaging Specification:
>   a) Identifies the set of parameters that need to be agreed/shared for MSHs
> to interact successfully and that this information can be held:
>     i) within the ebXML Message Header, or
>     ii) elsewhere as separately agreed
>   b) States that the CPAId identifies the values to be used for the
> information that needs to be agreed.

The specification pretty much does this now, and that IMHO is part of the
problem. I think that rather than make continuted efforts to further
separate these specs, we should instead be working more closely
to align them and to make the use of a CPP/A more compelling.

>   c) States that **a** method of representing and exchanging the data that
> needs to be agreed is defined by the CPPA specification
> 3. The CPPA specification describes how those MSH parameters can be recorded
> and linked and related to a business process/transaction, etc
>
> I think that could meet all of our objectives. Does this make sense?

I disagree that it meets our objectives.

A natural aspect of any b2b exchange is that there is an AGREEMENT
between the parties. Even an IMPLICIT agreement is an AGREEMENT.

I will grant that without a dynamic negotiation
capability, that certain use cases are made more difficult. I DO agree
that we should resolve this as part of the work going forward.

I also agree that we should look to making the CPP/A as well as the
Message Service headers more generally useful by making them more modular.

Finally, I also agree that we should be looking to make the
Message Service and the CPP/A more useful/applicable in multi-hop
environments. I don't think that we've really done this area
effectively as we were possibly too focused on getting the
point-to-point usage right.

> David

begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Sr. Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris