Subject: Re: Idempotency attribute (Section 7.6.4.2, line 1569)

Arvola,

As Marty has already responded, the document exchange is an abstract
notion of the CPP/A that relates to information that is useful to the MSH.
It doesn't define the MSH, nor is it intended to do so.

As to idempotency, even in the absence of reliable messaging, providing
for some manner of idempotency check is useful. As to whether it is sensible
for one to define:

> What is the meaning of  deliverySemantics=OnceAndOnlyOnce and
> idempotency=false?

it would be meaningless as you cannot achieve onceAndOnlyOnce without
idempotency. In the CPP/A spec, the example at line 1538 uses this
combination, and IMHO that should be fixed in the errata to be:

<ReliableMessaging deliverySemantics="OnceAndOnlyOnce"
	idempotency="true"
	messageOrderSemantics="Guaranteed">
</ReliableMessaging>

Also, a constraint should be added to the CPP/A spec in section 7.6.4.2
that precludes the combination you cited. However, this constraint cannot be
modelled in the XML Schema definition itself and would need to be externally
enforced through some mechanism other than schema validation. It is likely that
RELAX-NG or possibly schematron could be used to express this manner of constraint.