Subject: RE: multiparty (was) Fwd: Re: message routing

Stefano,
See below...

	[CBC]  The restriction is that a party may only act based on
interactions with that party.  That is, an ordering constraint that affects
party "A" may not be based on an interaction between parties B and C.  For
example, you could not say: "Send the supplier a payment when the supplier
has shipped the product", you must say: "Send the supplier a payment when
the supplier (or shipper) notifies you of shipment".

	The fundamental difference in thinking is that actions and
constraints are specified in terms of one of the actors, not the "process in
general".

	You may say "of course", but a collaboration or activity diagram
does not explicitly enforce these constraints.  If these constraints are not
violated we can transform between the views of the process in tools.

> I think that BigBrother is not viable for a real "collaborative"
> approach since it implements a concept of "power", of "master/slave".
	[CBC]  Agree

> As well, I do not think that the 3+ global approach is merely a
> "tool issue"; I think that reconciling 3+ models to a set of
> bilateral is a simplification that can happen within the tool
> but is not natural in the way of thinking. For me (but I may
> be really wrong, of course) it would be the same that
> programming in assembler versus programming in a powerful 4GL;
> it is not because in assembler I could reach some economy
> and I could optimize the use of certain patterns that it is
> "natural" to program in assembler (at least, except for few
> gurus).
	[CBC]  Ways of thinking are many!  The advantage we have found in
having people think about it in this way is that it makes the
responsibilities very clear and prevents "illegal" structures such as the
ones we talked about above. However, providing a view based on the way you
want to think is fine - as I said, the "wide view" is what you want for a
top-down analysis.

	The binary+ view makes each protocol (binary collaboration) more
reusable such that it is useful in many business processes.  Does Fed-X want
to provide a service that is bound into a specific 3+ party process or does
it want to provide a service that is useful in a set of business processes?

	Also, many of the protocols used in these processes are
pre-existing.

> I also do not get the fact that bilater is closer to the service
> implementation: as i mentioned sometimes, I assume that the whole
> software implementing the framework will, soon or later (probably
> soon) be generated instead of coded provided that there is
> enough material in the specifications. So, I prefer to concentrate
	[CBC]  We do this today, so we are in agreement.  We also need to
make sure that the model is sufficiently precise for automated execution.
> on the architecture of an overall collaborative solution
> and on the modelling of it. Once they are done, probably a few
> clicks will be enough to deploy the hosting framework to an appserver.
>
> In this context, re-use is more in terms of patterns; and this
> will be equally possible for bilateral or 3+.
[CBC]  Do you know OORAM (Trygve Reenskaug)?  It shown how to compose n-way
collaborations - very nice.  It was the basis for collaborations in UML but
some of the synthesis parts got obscured.

> Just my 2 cents
	[CBC]  I think the difference in our approach may come from
different "reference" problems in our head.  When I have come across these
multi-party situations, very few have really been multi-party - where all
parties know about each other and have an n-way binding agreement.  Most
have been some kind of "sub contract" or delegation.  Since 90% of the
problems really are 2 party or 2 party with delegation I have not put much
priority on the "true" muti party modeling.

	When people have been given the very powerful tools of multi-party
they tended to over-use them, making unnecessarily large, complex and
monolithic processes.  They also had trouble utilizing existing protocols
and reusing pieces of these processes.  So I have tended to encourage
decomposing these processes, the "composition of binary" approach is a way
to encourage this more "componentized" way of thinking.  Ultimately what I
would like is to tool the analysis process in the way you are thinking but
then have the tool guide the designer to decompose it as a refinement ready
to be run via automated techniques (I include component assembly, code
generation and model interpretation as all part of automated development).

	Note that in either case we are WAY ahead of what off-the-shelf
software is providing today!

	It would be interesting to work through an example and see how the
approaches differ or complement each other.

> /stefano
	[CBC]
	Cory