Subject: RE: Security - question about nonrepudiation

FYI

---------------------- Forwarded by Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM on 08/01/2001
05:25 PM ---------------------------

Martin W Sachs
08/01/2001 04:52 PM

To:   "Collier, Timothy R" <timothy.r.collier@intel.com>
cc:
From: Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
Subject:  RE: Security - question about nonrepudiation  (Document link:
      Martin W. Sachs)

Tim,

A few replies below.

Dale is more expert in security than I am, so it would be worth running it
by him as well.

I suggest posting the  email you sent me to the CPPA list for others to
review.

"Collier, Timothy R" <timothy.r.collier@intel.com> on 08/01/2001 04:01:08
PM

To:   Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc:

Marty,

     I am mostly trying to come up to speed and understand the intent of
the existing structures so, I apologize if I am being overly dense.

MWS:  And I apologize that the set of ebXML specifications is confusing in
the
security area.

In your
new work doc one of the items to be looked at is the nonrepudiation
element,
so I thought I would start trying to understand the issues and start a
discussion around that topic.

MWS:  That's definitely the area with the most problems.

So hence, the thread.  The specific issue,
for me at the start is where each security detail applies.  When I look at
the BPSS+CPP security definitions I get the following hierarchy

Abstract security indicators (or process requirements)

BPSS

MWS:  My problem with BPSS is that there is not enough of a description of
what is
implied by each of the security attributes.  We need clear definitions so
that
an implementation can do the right thing and the CPP-CPA tools can verify
consistency between the attributes in BPSS and the CPP/CPA Characteristics
element
and the IT definitions in the delivery channel.

     isAuthenticated (Document envelope or attachment attribute) -
           a digital certificate is associated with the document
entity
     isConfidential (Document envelope or attachment attribute) -
          is encrypted

MWS:  I believe that isConfidential implies (should state in BPSS ) that
the encryption is
performed above the message service and the document must be delivered
encrypted
to the receiving application.

     isTamperProof (Document envelope or attachment attribute)-
          encrypted message digest and senders digital certificate

     isLegallyBinding (BusinessTransactionActivity attribute) -
          the business transaction is/is not legally binding

MWS:  There was a lot of discussion of isLegallyBinding on the listservers
a few weeks ago.  I believe that the position of the BP team is that
isLegallyBinding is simply a test vs production indicator and not some kind
of legal status issue for the CPA + BPSS instance as a whole.

     isNonRepudiationRequired (businessActivity attribute) -
          must save audit trail
     isNonrepudiationOfReceiptRequired (businessActivity attribute)-
          must digitally sign receiptAcknowledgements (assumes a
receipt ack)
     isAuthorizationRequired (businessActivity attribute) -
          must validate identity of the originator

MWS:  I agree except as commented above.

Given that my business analyst has provided me, the implementer, with a BP
that has the above fields set, I then try to map them into how I am going
implement them.

Abstractly I map my requirements (possibly overriding them with my own)

     BPSS                          CPP Delivery Channel
characteristics

isAuthenticated                    authenticated + secureTransport
isConfidential                confidentiality
isTamperProof                 authenticated and confidentiality

isLegallyBinding                   ?
isNonRepudiationRequired      nonrepudiationOfOrigin
isNonrepudiaitonOfReceiptRequired  nonrepudiationOfReceipt
isAuthorizationRequired            authorized
     ?                        secureTransport
     ?                        syncReplyMode

MWS:  These seem OK.

Concretely I implement my requirements. (Here is where I seem to not
understand the uniqueness of the nonrepudiation)

     Delivery Ch.             Implementation Details
authenticated                 TransportSecurity (Transport -
ReceivingProtocol)
                              + NonRepudiation
(DocExchange)

secureTransport                    TransportSecurity
confidentiality                    DigitalEnvelope (DocExchange)
authorized                         ?

nonrepudiationOfOrigin             NonRepudiation (DocExchange)
                               + TransportSecurity

nonrepudiationOfReceipt            NonRepudiation (DocExchange)on an
assumed
acknowledgement
                               + TransportSecurity

My misunderstanding seems to center on the line between authenticated and
nonrepudiation.  The BP seems to indicate that isAuthenticated implies that
a signature is associated with the document, I assume that is an
application
level signature.  So CPP's "authenticated", in trying to meet the BPs
"isAuthenticated", would require the use of the nonrepudiation element.
Likewise, the "nonrepudiationOfXX" implies an application level signature,
so I don't see how the two are different.

MWS:  I think that authenticated by itself only says to check that the
signature
is of whom it is supposed to be.  Nonrepudiation also implies tamperproof
and the
necessary audit trail to prove that the document was sent or received.  It
may well
be that the technology description in the delivery channel is the same for
both and that
authentication and nonrepudiation imply (possibly different) additional
actions
on the part of sender and receiver (application or application-support
functions
in the middleware).

My basic thinking is, if I can,
as an implementer, describe

     document security details
          encryption, and signature
     transport security details
          encryption and endpoint authentication
     business transaction security details
          like authorization and entity authentication
( and maybe some way to describe the ordering of the processing)

haven't I covered all of the bases?

MWS:  You have covered a lot of bases. I am not sure if there are more but
running it by the whole team will flush out more bases if there are any.

Nonrepudiation is then covered by the
document signature.  Whether I keep a log is entirely an internal issue and
my trading partner should neither need to know nor care.

MWS:  On the last sentence, I partly disagree.  I believe that the
implication
of nonrepudiation is that both parties agree that each will retain enough
information for audit purposes.  That agreement is probably embodied in the
attributes in the BPSS instance document and CPA Characteristics element.
Whether it is a log or some other realization is, of course, an internal
matter.

Thanks for your help,

          Tim