Subject: In reply to: Reference element in page 23 of CPP/A Spec

Himagiri Mukkamala wrote:

>1) Reference element for ProcessSpecification specifies Digest method as
>
>http://ww.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#dsa-sha1.
>
>XMLDSIG spec has only one digest algorithm mentioned and that is
>
>http://ww.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1

I think we should specify the latter algorithm (except "www" instead of
"ww").  I'll record the issue.

>2) Wouldn't we need the whole "Signature" element instead of just
>the reference element for the ProcessSpecification so that
>it can be verified

No, the ds:Reference element contains sufficient information to verify the
referenced process specification document.  Sections 7.5.4 and 8.7 contain
several passages on the the use of ds:Reference elements in relation to
ds:Signature elements, including the following from Section 7.5.4.5:

NOTE: It is recognized that the XML Digital Signature specification[XMLDSIG]
provides for signing an XML document together with externally referenced
documents.  In cases where a CPP or CPA document is in fact suitably signed,
that facility could also be used to ensure that the referenced
Process-Specification documents are unchanged.  However, this specification
does not currently mandate that a CPP or CPA be signed.

>-h

Tony