Subject: Re: In reply to: Reference element in page 23 of CPP/A Spec

The Reference element within a ProcessSpecification has the necessary
information for software to verify that the referenced document has not
changed by comparing the (original) DigestValue with the result of applying
the DigestMethod to the referenced document (in canonical form).
Certificates and keys are not involved in that process.  Of course, they are
involved in signing a CPP/CPA.  Section 8.7 covers the use of a ds:Signature
element for signing a CPP/CPA (which is optional in version 1.0).  That
section includes requirements and options concerning references to process
specifications in case a CPP/CPA is signed, for example:

"Whenever a CPA is signed, each ds:Reference within a ProcessSpecification
MUST pass reference validation and each ds:Signature MUST pass core
validation.

NOTE: In case a CPA is unsigned, software MAY nonetheless validate the
ds:Reference elements within ProcessSpecification elements and report any
exceptions."

Hope that helps.

Tony