Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] Proposed schema changes, plus illustrative examp le

Dan,

Actually, I understand that IBM actually owns a large number of DUNS
numbers for different parts of the enterprise.  They are all "IBM" (unless
some are "Lotus", "Tivoli", etc.).

Naming an MSH is a whole other ball of wax.    An MSH is not a pile of
circuits nor some number of lines of code.   An MSH is really a data
structure that supports some part of the enterprise that is behind it. The
same circuits and lines of code might implement many MSHs. It isn't obvious
to me that any of the identifiers, endpoint addresses, or names that we
have been discussing is appropriate for labelling a single MSH.  A single
PartyId might be served by many MSHs, so PartyId doesn't sound like the
right answer.  In other cases, a single MSH might serve multiple PartyIds.

The MSG team would have to define what constitutes an MSH. Before defining
what constitutes an MSH, the MSG team would have to decide what purpose is
served by identifying an MSH since that may determine the nature of the
identifier.

One possibility (jumping over the requirements discussion that should
preced this statement) is that an MSH is identified by the concatenation of
the PartyId and CPAId.

Dan Weinreb <dlw@exceloncorp.com> on 10/25/2001 01:45:10 PM

Please respond to "Dan Weinreb" <dlw@exceloncorp.com>