Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Re: [ebxml-cppa] Proposed schema changes,plus illustrative examp le

From: Dan Weinreb [mailto:dlw@exceloncorp.com]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 11:10 PM
To: mwsachs@us.ibm.com
Cc: Jzheng@vitria.com; dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com;
ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ebxml-msg] Re: [ebxml-cppa] Proposed schema changes, plus
illustrative examp le

   Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:16:32 -0400
   From: "Martin W Sachs" <mwsachs@us.ibm.com>

							      It isn't obvious
   to me that any of the identifiers, endpoint addresses, or names that we
   have been discussing is appropriate for labelling a single MSH.

Surely the purpose of the ebXML MS protocol is primarily to get a message
from one point to another point.

When an application program utilizes a software library that
implements the MS protocol, the application program surely must say to
the software library "Here is a message, please send it to X", and
the job of the protocol is to get the message to X.

So there must be some answer to the question, what is X an instance
of?  And also, how are such instances named, what is the syntax for
such names, what is the namespace from which such names are drawn?

In the case of the Internet Protocol (IP), X is an instance of an
Internet Host.  They are named by IP addresses, whose syntax is a
32-bit unsigned integer.  There must be analogous answers for the
ebXML MS protocol.

I have been assuming that X's are instance of MSH's.  The naming is
still unclear.  But it seems to me that there simply has got to be
some common understanding of what X is an instance of, and how such
instance are named, in order for anyone to do anything useful with
an implementation of ebXML MS.

-- Dan