Subject: [ebxml-cppa] RE: [ebxml-msg] CPA & MS overriding parameters

Replies below, MWS:

"Damodaran, Suresh" <Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com> on 11/14/2001 02:32:16
PM

To:    Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc:    "'ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org'" <ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org>,
       ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject:    RE: [ebxml-msg] CPA & MS overriding parameters

Marty,

I don't know where the TC went today with this,
but my comments are inlined. I may be missing some
important ideas, in which case, I look forward to getting educated.

Regards,
-Suresh

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin W Sachs [mailto:mwsachs@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 8:02 AM
To: Damodaran, Suresh
Cc: 'ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org'; ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org

Suresh,

I have the benefit of not having spent 3 hours on the phone yesterday.
<sd>
I would say that is a real benefit:-)
</sd>

The CPA documents policy agreed to by two parties.  If one party can
override information in the CPA, that party is violating the agreement.

<sd>
Absolutely. The flip side is, if both parties agree that some parts of the
agreement
MAY be overridden under certain situations, that also is reasonable?
</sd>
MWS:  Sure, if you want to complicate things by formulating a set of
override rules that, of course, have to be checked for violation.

The CPA can identify that parameters that both parties agree can be
overridden.  But then, why bother putting them in the CPA at all? Once you
decide that the MS can override the CPA, there is no reason to put those
parameters in the CPA.  Let them just be dynamic parameters.

<sd>
The parameters that can be overridden are in CPA also because
in some cases parties may decide that these MUST not be overridden,
and state so in the policy (we may not have such a mechanism in CPA,
but the CPA TC may consider having it)
<sd/>
MWS:  Again, sure you could consider this. The basic problem I have with it
is that some
people are trying to simplify the CPA by introducing this added complexity.
"It doesn't compute".

I don't understand the point about the CPA and MS work proceeding
independently.  That would imply that no coordination is needed.  Since the
main job of the CPA is to provide configuration information to the MSH, it
makes absolutely no sense to let them get out of sync.

<sd>
You are absolutely right. They should not get out of synch. But the
discussion
of where a parameter should be placed not be allowed to tie up the
discussion of either TC either. The same parameter could be in both message
header or CPA, except that whether it MAY be overridden should also be in
the CPA.
</sd>
MWS:  But unless both specifications agree on the override rules, there is
danger of even a worse mismatch than we have now.  So the teams really do
have to work together on this.

MWS:  Aside from the above points, introduction of these overrides is a
major change of function which should be outside the scope of either team's
version 1.1.  Rushing it through before the V 1.1 submission deadlines is a
good way to get things wrong and then have to go through another
maintenance cycle next year.

*********

*********

"Damodaran, Suresh" <Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com> on 11/13/2001 06:28:59