Subject: [ebxml-cppa] Another comment on the **VOTE** BPSS/CPPA issue - #21(old)

I am not certain that a vote on an amended
version is possible, but Marty prepared
the following amended version for #21
that I would prefer over
the current version.

Dale
====sent with permission=========================
Dale,

I assume you are wondering about how to change Chris' proposed language.

Chris proposal:

         Suggestion for Change to BPSS Spec:

      For isConfidential, isAuthenticated and isTamperProof, change
      the type from boolean to enumerated value.

      Make the list of possible values be "persistent", "transient",
      "persistent-and-transient", "none" with the default being "none".

      The value of the attribute, if other than "none" could be
      interpreted as "at least <value>".  Thus, if the value were
      "transient" it would be interpreted as "at least transient"
      which could mean that the parties might choose to adopt a
      persistent form of the appropriate countermeasure if they were
      more paranoid than the authors of the process. A value of
      "persistent" would be interpreted as "at least persistent" which
      could be augmented with transient countermeasures (e.g. a
digitally
      signed message carried over a bilaterally authenticated SSL
      connection).

Alternative possibility:

            Suggestion for Change to BPSS Spec:

      For isConfidential, isAuthenticated and isTamperProof, change
      the type from boolean to enumerated value.

      Make the list of possible values be "persistent", "transient",
      "persistent-and-transient", "none" with the default being "none".

      MWS: If it is possible to agree on order of increasing
      stringency, the values should probably be enumerated in that
      order for clarity.

      The value of the attribute, if other than "none", could be
      interpreted as "the default <value>".  The parties are free
      to agree on more or less stringent security. Thus, if the value
were
      "persistent"  the parties might choose to adopt a
      persistent-and-transient form of the appropriate countermeasure if
      they were
      more paranoid than the authors of the process. A value of
      "persistent"
      could be augmented with transient countermeasures (e.g. a
digitally
      signed message carried over a bilaterally authenticated SSL
      connection.
      Alternatively, they might
      agree on a value of "transient" if their security requirements are
      lower
      than is stated in the bPSS instance.

"Dale Moberg" <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com> on 12/14/2001 01:12:18 PM