Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] Party Details

Thanks for your clear restatement of one concrete proposal
to deal with the problem of enumerated values for
type fields.

Tony, I searched but did not find an
issue number for this problem. Perhaps we can arrive at a
convention for dealing with these values before the
next version of the specification goes for approval.

I will also check up the ladder
with Oasis and the "Joint Committee" to see whether they
have any ideas on best practices for these identifiers.

This seems like it might have been a job that Core
Components might have dealt with.

Duane, please comment on whether William Kammerer's
convention seems suitable for the usages you have in
mind.

OIDs are certainly widely used in other standards--
cryptography, SNMP, the old X.400 email system, some
telecommunications stuff, and anywhere that ASN.1 goes.
Dotted integer strings are probably not high on the
XML human readability chart, but URNs are to me about
at the same height.

It seems to me that a standards body like Oasis promoting
XML would have decided on best practices for identifiers
like this. Oasis does have a URN that it has registered.
Arvola research its use for values in Messaging. Next
meeting we can perhaps review this under the unassigned
issues.

Dale Moberg