Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] recent discussions of context

Marty and Duane,

Looking into context had been listed as a future work item
(past version 2.0x). The main software "consumer" of CPA
information has been the ebXML MSH software and maybe some
additional middleware modules concerned with things like
digital enveloping that are not yet in ebMS 2.0x.

It seems to me that the software module consumers
of context may be software more akin to
translators/transformers of payload information: what I think is, in
ebTWG lingo, the BOD to BIE to BOD flows/assembly/customization.
I think this complicates our underlying view of what module-maker
has the "knowledge" to 1. form draft CPAs from CPPs or CPA-templates
2. what module can carry out the negotiation of parameters
(are context parameters negotiable???) I realize that
we are already into this realm when overriding _some_
of the BP level parameters from a BPSS schema, but
we are moving in a direction that complicates the
underling rough boundaries of components. This is a
scope shift that I think should go up for a vote after
a motion is made in the TC. My procedural $.02 worth.

Next, and this is mainly for Marty,
is your objection to re-using PartyRef as a pointer
off to schemas for context information that we might
simultaneously need both the URI to variable company info
(like the administrative contact person's phone number)
as well as context?

If so, 1. would changing the cardinality of
PartyRef suffice? If not, and we introduced a new
element, what would the new ContextRef pointer
be like? That is, would it vary in an essential way from
the PartyRef? Should we made a PartyRef.type and allowed
several elements (PartyRef included) to extend the type?

We could do something like make another placeholder
for context and still stay within
the 2.0 version time frame if we can decide this within the
next 2 weeks.