Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] client-server, requester-responder,and sender-receiver

Tony,

A few comments below.

Tony Weida <rweida@hotmail.com> on 02/09/2002 04:59:42 PM

To:    CPPA <ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc:
Subject:    [ebxml-cppa] client-server, requester-responder, and
       sender-receiver

As promised, here's a draft of introductory text and  glossary entries for
six key words in the CPPA spec.  In the context of CPPA, I propose that
(1) client and server concern software, (2) requester and  responder
concern business interaction, and (3) sender and  receiver concern
messages.   Comments are welcome.

Tony

Proposed Introductory  Material

MWS:  Structural comment.  This paragraph should be broken down into
multiple short sentences.  In particular, there should be a separate
sentence for each of the three pairs.

The CPPA specification is concerned with software  that conducts business
by exchanging messages.  In particular, it is concerned with  client and
server software programs that engage in business requests and  responses by
sending and receiving messages.

MWS:  I suggest:   "...engage in a business collaboration by sending..."

MWS:  Another possibility is "...engage in business transactions..."

MWS:  But see my next comment below.

  Under the terms of a CPA, client  software invokes a service provided by
server software,

MWS:  I thought that there was some consensus that client and server should
refer to HTTP connections. A client initates the connection to the server.
The problem with "client  software invokes a service provided by server
software" is that in the ebXML world, a given party may be a client in some
business transactions and a server in other business transactions in the
same collaborative process (BPSS instance).  Put another way, ebXML
supports peer relationships (in contrast to Web services which at this
point in its development is strictly a client to server relationship).

a requester initiates a  business collaboration or business transaction
with a responder,

MWS:  Please delete "business collaboration".  The business collaboration
is the whole set of business transaction activities described by the BPSS
instance. Indeed one party will be the requester that initiates the first
business transaction of the collaboration but that isn't a good basis for
discussing requester and responder. These should be defined in terms of a
single message exchange.

and a sender  transmits a message to a receiver.

MWS:  I suggest "sends" instead of "transmits".  To mey "transmits" belongs
to the physical layer as in "radio transmitter".

Thus, the client and server are software counterparts, the requester and
responder are business counterparts, and the sender and receiver are
messaging  counterparts.  There is no fixed  relationship between
counterparts of different types.  For example, consider a purchasing
collaboration.  Client software  representing the buying party might make a
purchase request by sending a message  containing a purchase order that is
received by server software representing the  selling party.  If the CPA
specifies  a synchronous business response, the server might then respond
by sending a  message containing an acceptance notice back to the client.
Alternatively, if the CPA specifies an  asynchronous business response,
client software representing the selling party  might later respond by
sending a message containing an acceptance notice that is  received by
server software representing the buying party.

MWS:  I did not comment on the rest of the paragraph since it will be
affected by the comments above.

Proposed Glossary  Entries

CLIENT ? software that invokes a service provided by  a server.

MWS:  The definitions of CLIENT and SERVER will be affected by my comments
above.

SERVER ? software that provides a service when  invoked by a client.

REQUESTER ? initiator of a business collaboration or  business transaction.

MWS:  Per my above comments, please delete "business collaboration" from
REQUESTER and RESPONDER.

RESPONDER ? a counterpart to the initiator in a  business collaboration or
business transaction.

SENDER ? transmitter of a  message.

MWS:  Per my above comment, change "transmitter" to "sender".

RECEIVER ? recipient of a  message.