Subject: Re: [regrep] Re: [ebxml-cppa] CPP identification revisited

Nita,

(please repost to reg/rep list... I'm not subscribed)

These UID identifiers, while recognizable by "those in the know"
aren't in any way guaranteed to be unique. This issue has been
hashed over ad nauseum in the CPP/A and MSG lists with regards
to identifiers for parties such as DUNS numbers (Duane's Unique
Numbering Scheme:)

While I certainly agree that the UUID's assigned by a registry
are opaque and indecipherable by mere mortals, what you seem
to be asking for is not a unique identifier, but a human understandable
description. Note that from where I sit, "OAG090200" means as little
to me as "WERTRET-4523-RYJYJRYK-32436-GJDJFJDFJDFHDF"! They are merely
a collection of ascii characters.

<a
href="http://example.com/regrep/resolve/WERTRET-4523-RYJYJRYK-32436-GJDJFJDFJDFHDF">OAG
Quote To Collect Business Process for the Auto Industry</a> on the other
hand provides me with something I can grok without having to be a OAG BP
geek, as well as something my computer can grok with relative ease such
that it can
retrieve the process document referenced should I be interested.

What concerns me is that we aren't leveraging the web the way it
was meant to serve us.

Neither "OAG090200" nor "WERTRET-4523-RYJYJRYK-32436-GJDJFJDFJDFHDF" are
useful on their own without some further information or context.
Neither provide me with enough information that I might be able to
actually understand what is identified beyond a potentially unique
string of bytes.

I might suggest that none of this is new. The whole semantic web
initiative is addressing this space. URI's are meant to be opaque
to mere mortals. RDF attempts to provide for the ability to
describe what these URI's reference in an extensible manner. Other
examples of use of web technologies to address this include RDDL (W3C
note) and XLink.

IMO, we're treading on well trodden ground.

Cheers,

Chris