Subject: Re: [regrep] Re: [ebxml-cppa] CPP identification revisited

David,

You are missing *my* whole point. I am not advocating that
UUID's be used by humans at all. Nor am I advocating that
UIDs (these so called seven digit codes) be used by humans
either.

My point was that while some might know what the OAG was and
further had memorized what an OAG090200 was, to the uninitiated,
it is just as meaningless as a UUID. However, there's no
reason for the human to need to concern themselves with the
opaque identifier when they could just as easily have
something in the language of their choice that they could
understand absent the rigorous training necessary to memorize
one or more code sets.

Further, unless there is some authority handing out the prefixes
(e.g. OAG), what is to prevent me from using OAG090200
to mean "Off-world Alien Group" and assigning numbers
that are in the same range as those established by the
Open Applications Group.

Codes like these are exclusive. Only those "in the know"
have any means of understanding what they mean. Sure, humans
can remember them after exhaustive repetition and study
but what's the point? All that they've accomplished is
to join an exclusive club that has its own language.

A customer entering Home Depot doesn't ask the associate
where the "10-90-B-7"'s are stocked, she wants to know
where the new "FireStorm Drills" are stocked because that's
what her husband wants for his birthday and *that's* what
the ads on TV and radio are pounding into her head.

Cheers,

Chris