Subject: Web Services - EAI or B2B? (Was RE: [ebxml-cppa] BPSS to WSDL map ping)

Aaaarrrrggggg!

I have to violently disagree!  I also suspect most companies promoting web
services would not like the "Only for EAI" box.  Simple single-shot RPC is
not sufficient for either role.

There is no reason the same architecture and technologies can't be used for
B2B and EIA.  There is no reason to have a fundamentally different
architecture just because your business partner is not owned by the same
shareholders.  The interaction requirements between "Lincoln Continental"
and "GM Engines" is not that different than between "Lincoln Continental"
and "Delco".  In fact, with the rapidity of acquisition and divestiture and
outsourcing it is unwise to architect for things inside and outside
differently.  We have customers who want to use ebXML internally - should we
show them the door?

We have found the "collaboration" style of modeling and deployment is very
effective for both B2B and EAI.  While there may be some relaxation of some
constraints internally, that is not something you want to architect for - it
is something you should handle in deployment.

I find the W3C characterization of a web service just fine.  Realizing that
the business requirements will move it in the directions ebXML has already
started down; Asynchronous document interchange supporting long-lived
collaborative processes.

In providing the specification framework for enterprise web services we
should address the total picture, from B2B to EAI type of integration - down
to where a process role is encapsulated in a single business unit.  This
kind of architectural integration has real and immediate benefit to the
enterprise.

Cory