Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] CPPA version 1.10

Yes, this was a concern expressed during the discussions -- does DUNS mean Dun &
Bradstreet Number or does it mean David's Unique Numbering System?

I am actually glad this is being clarified.  My only concern is a requirement
for the type to be anyURI which is more restrictive than tns:nonEmptyString.  I
disagreed with Dale that the MSH could do something other than what is in the
CPA.  The MSH at this point is tightly coupled to the CPA so whatever
restrictions are in the CPA will directly affect Messaging.

What is to be done with numbering systems/authorities which are not defined by
our URI?  If we require type to be a URI, does this mean that someone else who
wants to use their own numbering scheme must create a valid URI for that scheme
rather than just use some agreed upon string -- like DUNS?  I suppose the
URI/URN does not actually have to resolve to anything.  If this is the case, we
should say so somewhere.

Regards,

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: Duane Nickull [mailto:duane@xmlglobal.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 10:51 AM
To: Martin W Sachs
Cc: David Fischer; Arvola Chan; Christopher Ferris; Dale Moberg; CPPA

Martin W Sachs wrote:

> David,
>
> The problem with using type="DUNS" is that the values are arbitrary
> character strings;

Another problem is that DUNS is not a defined value anywhere.  What does
it stand for?  We might assume it means a Dun & Bradstreet number but
this is not represented in the spec anywhere.  IF I chose to use Duane's
Unique Numbering System (DUNS), it may collide with someone elses'
unique value.

First define the requirements for what this has to do.  Then th eanswer
is evident.  William Kammerer will write a paper with the ideas
submitted by Chris Ferris, myself and many others.

This should solve it.

D-

--
CTO, XML Global Technologies