Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] ... CPPA Specification ... any IPR Position ...

James Bryce Clark>
Thanks, Karl, this was very helpful information.  My comments below.
[ deleted material]
Karl Best>One final note: submitting the spec to OASIS requires that
three OASIS
>members certify that they have implemented the spec *** [and] the three

>members must also state that their implementations are in compliance
with
>the IBM license. Is this going to be a problem?

JBC> Yipes.  Good catch.  Does anyone know about this one?  Are we
considering
promoting to an OASIS Standard in vain?

I have spoken with three other company representatives who
have said they would supply the "successful use" statement
for version 2.0. I hope to obtain the statements
once I am certain they are needed. It is not now
certain that they are needed; in fact seems to me more likely than
not that 2 members will vote against OASIS process
submission and so I will not need them.

It is my understanding that no license would be
needed for any prototypes. I will remind the 4
companies about the OASIS rule if the motion carries.
I am not actually certain what being in compliance with
the license means at this point and for all cases, and
just asked Karl for some clarification. JSR 157 has
contacted IBM for clarification of how a Java API
reference implementation (including open source ones)
can be released and how products can incorporate
that API. The specification co-leads (Hima and Dale)
have not heard back from IBM. I assume making contact
with them establishes cooperation.