Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] Immediate updates to specification

We also have an errata mechanism for recording
corrections based on OASIS public review.

I am concerned that the small schema change (removal of an attribute that BPSS removed)
might cause an impact on implementations using the wrong version, but
less concerned that the minor textual changes will impact implementations.

I notice that Arvola has appended an "a" on the file names. I also have appended
an "a" on the file names.

I think that we should have any official links (URLs) point to these "a" labeled files during
the review period (through October). (Official links are our web site links.)

I will ask for discussion of the question of what version number should be put on
any OASIS approved version at the next conference call. That would also call for some minor
internal edits to make the text say that it is that version (and the URLs for schemas
also point to the right place). I think this could happen as the final step in publication.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin W Sachs [mailto:mwsachs@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 5:19 AM
To: ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org

We have a publicly accessible copy of the CPPA specification labeled version 2.0. If we make any changes now or to respond to comments from the OASIS public review and if the version finally approved by OASIS is also called version 2, there are is the danger that two implementations of version 2 will be based on different versions of version 2. I don't believe that people will distinguish them by approval dates or notice that one says "approved" and the other doesn't. Since some of the changes are substantive (however small), the mismatch has the potential of causing problems.

If we are going to make any changes at all now or at the end of OASIS public review, it is essential that the finally-approved specification have a version number greater than 2.

914-784-7287; IBM tie line 863-7287
Notes address: Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM
Internet address: mwsachs @ us.ibm.com