Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] Post-V2 (privacy)

I thought we had previously discussed p3p and determined that
it was primarily concerned with personal privacy
and more in the b2c space. That is, p3p is mainly something that browsers
can use to see whether web sites are going to sell your email address
to a marketing or spam department :-).

Also p3p announced its intent to eventually get around to
alternative policy announcements and a way to select
(semi-automatically?) the preferred privacy policy.

Is there a b2b use case for p3p? Or should browser usage
of p3p be sufficient to warrant investigation?

I think this topic would be under the CPPA.next subteam, and
we have not gotten people signed up to lead this effort yet!!

Dale

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin W Sachs [mailto:mwsachs@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 8:28 AM
To: ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ebxml-cppa] Post-V2 (privacy)

I don't recall seeing the privacy topic on our list of possible Post-V2 topics. Given that P3P is at Recommendation level, perhaps we need to do something about it.

I think there are three parts:
1. Expressing privacy policies and requirements (external document?)
2. Matching party A's policy requirements with Party B's privacy policy and vice versa (probably comes under negotiation).
3. Somehow monitoring that a party is following its stated policy (maybe outside the scope of a standard).

914-784-7287; IBM tie line 863-7287
Notes address: Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM
Internet address: mwsachs @ us.ibm.com