Subject: [ebxml-cppa] editorial comment on V2 - correction

$)C
I just realized that we cannot change the schema of the ds:Signature
element because it has to have minOccurs="1" to apply to the CPP as well as
the CPA.

However, the cited paragraph still has problems because it mis-states the
cardinality of ds:Signature and implies that there could be a CPA involving
only one Party. Therefore, I propose that we make an editorial correction
as given by the second of the alternatives in my original note.  The
proposed text is:

The Signature element, if present, is made up of one to three ds:Signature
elements. The CPA can be signed by one or both Parties. It is RECOMMENDED
that both Parties sign the CPA. For signing by both parties, one Party
initially signs. The other Party then signs over the first Party!/s
signature. The resulting CPA MAY then be signed by a notary.

Note that the revised paragraph includes the possiblity that the CPA might
be signed by only one Party, which is present in the current draft
specification.

----- Forwarded by Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM on 08/16/2002 01:51 PM -----

                      Martin W Sachs
                                               To:       ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org
                      08/15/2002 06:14         cc:
                      PM                       From:     Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                                               Subject:  editorial comment on V2

I just came across the following minor editorial and schema problem with
the CPA Signature element.  Lines 3152-3155 state:

The Signature element, if present, is made up of one or more ds:Signature
elements. In a CPA involving two Parties, there can be up to three ds:
Signature elements within the Signature element. The CPA is initially
signed by one of the two Parties. The other Party could then sign over the
first Party!/s signature. The resulting CPA MAY then be signed by a notary.

Since a CPA can never involve only one Party, that goes without saying
(second sentence). Also, if the Signature element is present, there can be
either 2 or 3 ds:Signature elements, never only one unless we want to allow
for signing by only one Party.  I suggest fixing the schema to specify a
cardinality of minOccurs="2" maxOccurs="3", and changing the paragraph to:

The Signature element, if present, is made up of two or three ds:Signature
elements. The CPA is initially signed by one of the two Parties. The other
Party then signs over the first Party!/s signature. The resulting CPA MAY
then be signed by a notary.

If the team prefers to keep open the option of signing by only one Party,
then no change is needed to the schema and the paragraph would be as
follows:

The Signature element, if present, is made up of one to three ds:Signature
elements. The CPA can be signed by one or both Parties. It is RECOMMENDED
that both Parties sign the CPA. For signing by both parties, the first
Party signs. The other Party then signs over the first Party!/s signature.
The resulting CPA MAY then be signed by a notary.