Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] Re: [ebxml-cppa-negot] RE: BSI distinguishingsuccess, failure,and transition conditions

I think we have a problem with the word "interface".  WSDL no more
describes a BSI than does the CPA.  The WSDL portTypes are the same kind of
interface as Service and Action in the CPA - the abstract description of
the software interface to the application. The question is whether more
needs to be said about the function that goes in the large zone between the
MSH and the application software interface. That what's in that zone is the
function that is represented by the term "BSI".  BPSS actually does a
decent job of describing what BSI function is needed to support
choreography.

                      Duane Nickull
                      <duane@xmlglobal.        To:       Matthew MacKenzie <matt@xmlglobal.com>
                      com>                     cc:       bhaugen <linkage@interaccess.com>, Jean-Jacques Dubray <jjd@eigner.com>, Martin W
                                                Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, "'Tony Fletcher'" <tony_fletcher@btopenworld.com>, "'Anarkat,
                      08/22/2002 12:53          Dipan'" <DAnarkat@uc-council.org>, "'BCPS (list)'" <ebtwg-bcs@lists.ebtwg.org>, ebtwg-
                      PM                        bps@lists.ebtwg.org, "'John Yunker'" <john.yunker@bleuciel.org>, ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-
                                                open.org
                                               Subject:  Re: [ebxml-cppa] Re: [ebxml-cppa-negot] RE: BSI distinguishing success,  failure,
                                                and transition conditions

Matthew MacKenzie wrote:

> As far as BSI being an "abstract" concept, and thus left unspecified --
> I don't agree.  Who made the rule that "abstract" should not be
> specified?  In a sense, a concept is only abstract until it is
> implemented.

The BSI is an abstract concept for architectural discussion.  It is a
concept that there is a way to describe how to do business with a
trading partners, in terms of technical configuration details and
business procedures adn rules.

It is (or should be) 100% implementable in ebXML via the CPP/A, BPSS and
other related mechanisms.  Together,  they make up the business service
interface.

If we make another document that describes a Business Service Interface
to a company,  it will overlap with these artifacts and render them
extraneous.

Other examples of artifacts that describe a business service interface:

a WSDL instance
a eCo.xml instance

Duane Nickull