Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] Please tell me how to understand IBM's IPR statement.

Yukinori,

For answers to your questions, please contact the IBM attorney who is
identified in the IPR disclosure:

                   IBM Director of Intellectual Property & Licensing
                    IBM Corporation
                    North Castle Drive, Armonk, N.Y., 10504

                    Or fax to:
                    IBM Director of Intellectual Property & Licensing
                    (914) 765-4420

                    Submitted by Chuck Adams, Program Director of
Standards, Intellectual
                    Property & Licensing, IBM Corporation
                    wcadams@us.ibm.com, 16 May 2002

You can write a letter, send a fax, or send email to Chuck Adams.

                      Yukinori Saito
                      <y-saito@ecom.jp>        To:       ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org
                                               cc:       "EDIgr)H.Sugamata" <sugamata@ecom.or.jp>, "EDIgr)K.Mizoguchi"
                      11/09/2002 04:34          <mizoguchi@ecom.or.jp>, "EDIgr)K.Wakaizumi" <waka@ecom.or.jp>
                      AM                       Subject:  [ebxml-cppa] Please tell me how to understand IBM's IPR statement.
                      Please respond to
                      Yukinori Saito

Dear someone of CPPA TC,

Please tell me how to understand and deal with about IBM's IPR statement.

The new IPR statement from IBM says 'As provided in IBM's May 16, 2002
disclosure to OASIS, IBM will, upon written request, continue to provide a
nonexclusive, royalty free patent license, with other reasonable terms and
conditions for ALL patents issued to IBM which contain essential claims and
for which IBM is able to provide patent licenses (including the issued
patent and unpublished patent application disclosed above), for the OASIS
ebXML Collaboration Protocol Profiles (CPP's) and Collaboration Protocol
Agreements (CPA's) Versions 1 and 2 specifications.'

If some companies implement CPPA specification in the solution software or
application system, Do they have to inform or report this activities to IBM
with some written document?
I understand that we can use CPPA specification with royalty free to IBM's
patent. But I am anxious about the text 'upon written request' in the above
IBM's statement.
May I confirm whether we (Implementers or Users) should inform or report
this kind of implementation to IBM or not?

Some companies and organizations in Japan and Asia are now going to
implement the CPPA specification V2.0 in their solution software or
application system.

Best Regards,
Yukinori Saito
Yukinori Saito
Electronic Commerce Promotion Council of Japan (ECOM)
E-mail: y-saito@ecom.jp
Tel: +81-3-3436-7542    Fax: +81-3-3436-7570