Subject: [ebxml-cppa] Re: May I ask about 'upon written request' of IBM's IPRstatement?

Dear Chuck Adams,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I will contact to Mr. William Uang about the process of requesting a
license.
Thank you again,
Yukinori Saito

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck AdamsJr" <wcadams@us.ibm.com>
To: "Yukinori Saito" <y-saito@ecom.jp>
Cc: "William Uang" <WUANG@jp.ibm.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 2:00 AM

Saito-san

Responding to your recent note regarding an RF license to IBM patents to
implement CPPA for ebXML, a license is available to all implementers of the
specification.  A license is provided upon written request  to IBM.   IBM's
RF license is available to anyone compliantly implementing the
specification.  A written request is a one time activity, in order for IBM
to provide you with the license and for you to accept the license.   IBM
will not request continual feedback on your use of the license and your
implementations of the specification, after you have accepted the  license.

IBM's contact in Japan for coordinating your request for a license is
William Uang.  His email is:   WUANG@jp.ibm.com.

William can provide you additional information on the process of requesting
a license.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have questions.

Thanks, Chuck

                      "Yukinori Saito"
                      <y-saito@ecom.jp>        To:       Chuck
AdamsJr/Armonk/IBM@IBMUS
                                               cc:
<ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org>, "EDIgr\)H.Sugamata"
<sugamata@ecom.or.jp>,
                      11/10/2002 07:15          "EDIgr\)K.Mizoguchi"
<mizoguchi@ecom.or.jp>, "EDIgr\)K.Wakaizumi" <waka@ecom.or.jp>
                      PM                       Subject:  May I ask about
'upon written request' of IBM's IPR statement?
                      Please respond to
                      "Yukinori Saito"

Dear Chuck Adams,
(Program Director of Standards, Intellectual Property & Licensing, IBM
Corporation)

This is Yukinori Saito of Electronic Commerce Promotion Council of Japan
(ECOM).
I am a kind of delegate to OASIS ebXML CPPA TC from Japan and Asia.
Also, I am a member of OASIS ebXML CPPA TC.

May I ask about IBM's IPR statement?

The new IPR statement on Oct. 24, 2002 from IBM says 'As provided in IBM's
May 16, 2002
disclosure to OASIS, IBM will, upon written request, continue to provide a
nonexclusive, royalty free patent license, with other reasonable terms and
conditions for ALL patents issued to IBM which contain essential claims and
for which IBM is able to provide patent licenses (including the issued
patent and unpublished patent application disclosed above), for the OASIS
ebXML Collaboration Protocol Profiles (CPP's) and Collaboration Protocol
Agreements (CPA's) Versions 1 and 2 specifications.'

If some companies implement CPPA specification in the solution software or
application system, Do they have to inform or report this activities to IBM
with some written document?
I understand that we can use CPPA specification with royalty free to IBM's
patent. But I am anxious about the text 'upon written request' in the above
IBM's statement.
May I confirm whether we (Implementers or Users) should inform or report
this kind of implementation to IBM or not?

Some companies and organizations in Japan and Asia are now going to
implement the CPPA specification V2.0 in their solution software or
application system.

Best Regards,
Yukinori Saito
Yukinori Saito
Electronic Commerce Promotion Council of Japan (ECOM)
E-mail: y-saito@ecom.jp
Tel: +81-3-3436-7542    Fax: +81-3-3436-7570