Subject: UDDI tModel identifiers associated with ebXML specifcations.

Hi

Because of recent email difficulties, I did not receive the message from UDDI about proposed identifiers to use within a UDDI service.

Please add on a discussion of this topic to tomorrow's agenda.

I have sought input from TC members on this previously, but no one has had time bandwidth to comment.
However, please just glance at the identifiers proposed to be adopted. They seem OK to me.

Warning: I will take no objection as approval of the use of these identifiers as far as ebXML CPPA TC is concerned.

Thanks,
Dale

============

From: Luc Clement
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 14:35
To: 'dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com'
Cc: 'jdurand@fsw.fujitsu.com'; 'ian.c.jones@bt.com'; 'thryn.r.Breininger@boeing.com'; 'Tom Bellwood'; Karl Best; James (Jamie) Bryce Clark
Subject: ebXML TC review and input of the UDDI Spec TC "UDDI as the registry for ebXML components"

To:   OASIS ebXML Joint Committee Chair, Dale Moberg dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com

OASIS ebXML Collaboration Protocol Profile and Agreement TC Chair, Dale Moberg dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com
OASIS ebXML Implementation, Interoperability and Conformance TC Chair, J Durand jdurand@fsw.fujitsu.com
OASIS ebXML Messaging Services TC Chair, Ian Jones ian.c.jones@bt.com
OASIS ebXML Registry TC Chair, Kathryn Breininger Kathryn.r.Breininger@boeing.com
OASIS UDDI Spec TC Co-chair, Tom Bellwood bellwood@us.ibm.com
OASIS: Karl Best and Jamie Clark

[1] UDDI as the registry for ebXML components, UDDI Spec TC Technical Note, http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/uddi-spec/doc/draft/uddi-spec-tc-tn-uddi-ebxml-20030508.htm

[2] UDDI Spec TC Process, http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/uddi-spec/doc/process/uddi-spec-tc-process-20021212.htm.

Dale,

I'm writing to you as Chair of the ebXML JC for the purpose of obtaining your and other ebXML TC chair's support for final review and input of the UDDI Spec TC's "UDDI as the registry for ebXML components" [1] Technical Note (TN).  As you may know, the UDDI Spec TC has approved this document as a Committee Technical Note in accordance with its TC process which you can find in Section 2 of [2].

Acting on the UDDI Spec TC's behalf, Paul Macias approached the CPPA and Messaging TCs in March of this year with a request for review and input on the portions of the TN that involve aspects of the CPPA and MS specifications referenced by the Technical Note. You agreed as Chair of the CPPA TC to present this TN to your TC for review at your TC's 27 March telecon. Paul did not get a response from the Messaging TC. Unfortunately, we did not obtain comments back resulting from this request, and thus decided to move forward for approval of the TN. I'm pleased to note though, that the ebXML RegRep TC has recently provided comment on the TN which we will consider during our 8 Jul telecon.

The TN has now been approved and ready to be posted pending finalization of names, URLs and keyspaces referring to ebXML components, and consideration of further comments we may receive as part of this activity. While the UDDI Spec TC could make such assignments and derive these from its namespace, we feel it more appropriate for these to be derived from those already defined by the ebXML community. Furthermore, we also think that these should be managed by ebXML rather than UDDI.

We ask your support in your capacity as Chair of the ebXML JC in coordinating the necessary activities allowing for the following:

a. obtain review of the TN

b. assign or confirm the appropriateness of the current assignments of the following:

·         tModel Names (e.g. ebxml-org:specifications)

·         overview document URLs used to point to ebXML specifications (e.g. http://www.ebxml.org/specs/index.htm)

·         keyspace used for UDDI v3 tModel keys (e.g. uddi:ebxml.org:specifications)

Note 1: I've provided an excerpt below to demonstrate by way of example what we are asking of ebXML TCs. I've put in yellow highlight examples of tModel names, URLs and v3 keys we seek input on.

Note 2: v1 and v2 format key derivation (by way of UDDI v3's key hashing algorithm) will be performed after we finalize the tModel keys to be assigned

If, as a conclusion of your review, you would prefer for these names and keyspaces to be assigned by the UDDI TC within its own namespace, please let Tom and I know and we will do so.

c. identify the timeframe for completion of this review

We want to finalize and post this TN as soon as possible given its approval by the TC, but will gladly delay this allowing for input from ebXML TCs.

Please let me know your thoughts at the earliest possible convenience. If it would help, I'll gladly arrange for a telecon to discuss this with you and the other chairs.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration of this matter.

Luc Clément
Microsoft
Co-chair, OASIS UDDI Spec TC

Excerpt from [1]

2.2.3 ebXML Specifications Taxonomy tModel

ebXML is a framework that consists of several distinct technical specifications, each of which must be represented by tModels in a UDDI registry. UDDI tModels are usually tagged with categorizations denoting information that facilitates their discovery. That is why before defining tModels representing ebXML specifications, we define an ebXML Specifications Taxonomy tModel, which is used to categorize these tModels (described in the following section).

ebXML Specification Taxonomy tModel:

tModel Name:                        ebxml-org:specifications

tModel Description:               ebXML Specifications Taxonomy

tModel UDDI Key (V3):           uddi:ebxml.org:specifications

Derived V1, V2 format Key:   uuid:xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx01 (to be derived)

Categorization:                     categorization

Checked:                               No

<tModel tModelKey="uuid:xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx01">

<name>ebxml-org:specifications</name>

<description xml:lang="en">ebXML Specifications Taxonomy</description>

<overviewDoc>

    <overviewURL>http://www.ebxml.org/specs/index.htm</overviewURL>

  </overviewDoc>

  <categoryBag>

    <keyedReference

tModelKey="uuid:C1ACF26D-9672-4404-9D70-39B756E62AB4"

keyName="uddi-org:types"

keyValue="categorization" />

    <keyedReference

tModelKey="uuid:C1ACF26D-9672-4404-9D70-39B756E62AB4"

keyName="uddi-org:types"

keyValue="unchecked" />

  </categoryBag>

</tModel>

The following values are defined for this ebXML Specifications taxonomy. These values are useful for classifying ebXML-related tModels and are helpful for others who want to find those tModels.

ebXML:CPPA   ebXML Collaboration Protocol Profile and Agreement

ebXML:MS       ebXML Message Service

ebXML:BPSS   ebXML Business Process Specification Schema

Please note that this tModel is a categorization system for ebXML framework specifications and does not represent ebXML specifications themselves.