Subject: RE: Clarification of the CPPA spec on Service Values

Hi Kartha,

Comments inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kartha, Neelakantan [mailto:N_Kartha@stercomm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 9:10 AM
To: ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Dale Moberg

All,

Are service values unique within a CPA? In other words, when you have
multiple collaboration elements,  would each one have different  Service
Values?

Dale> I normally think of the Service as a package of Actions (roughly,
in BPSS speak, all the bpss:BinaryCollaborations that a
cpa:ProcessSpecification identifies when the decomposition to
bpss:BinaryCollaborations has bottomed out).

So within a cpa:CollaborationRole, for a given cpa:Role value, a Party
would announce in the ServiceBinding all of its agreed upon details over
all the Actions that are implemented for the participants. The
ServiceBinding/Service element contains the service value (used in the
ebMS header). If there were two CollaborationRoles with the same
ServiceBinding/Service value, I would expect that normally you would
find that the Party is playing a different Role in each
CollaborationRole element.

So, the relevant corner case would be that a CPA could contain the
information about both a Party's Roles of Buyer and Seller, with another
Party playing the complementary Roles of Seller and Buyer.

===

Currently, my understanding is that the spec does NOT  say that when we
have multiple CollaborationRole elements, each one of them would have a
different Service values.

Dale> I think normally they would have different values. Cases arise,
see above, where it is allowed for a CPA to package up the information
needed for different process role assignments. Personally it seems to me
that it would probably be simpler to have two CPA instance documents,
but it is allowed.

 (See lines 1221-1236) in version 2.0 of CPPA spec.

However, note that the CollaborationRole element has one ServiceBinding
element (line 959) and  that  ServiceBinding element has one Service
element (line 1217). Hence, the intent seems to be that the Service
values would be unique.

Dale> For the normal 80/20 case it will be unique. But the corner case
above allows it to be repeated within the scope of another
CollaborationRole element.

Is my reading of the intent correct? Kartha

Dale> Please follow up if there is still a problem. I think I am
addressing your concerns.