Subject: RE: [ebxml-cppa] [OFF TOPIC] XML Patterns: Garden of Eden

Hi Sacha,

I looked at the design comparison document you mentioned.

The 2.1 schema revisions are driven by two main goals:

1. retain 2.0 instances as valid instances.
2. allow extensibility by substitution group to encompass alternative
messaging and business process specification approaches.

In addition, I have tried to adopt an approach that allows the reuse of
CPPA types or elements by import into other ways of capturing
capabilities, preferences and related information. This is in case some
simpler or more elegant way of treating collaboration protocol
capabilities and preferences emerges!

Item 2 means that we need to make global the elements that are to be
eligible for substitution. So the schema could validate XML instances
with root elements differing from the CPA and CPP roots. I have not
regarded that as a problem. The design guidelines document worries about
this.

Should we?

Also, we could possibly just leave the types global and declare a lot of
local elements rather than using the @ref mechanism that was used
extensively earlier, if we really cared about restricting globals. But
since substitution as a technique means we need global elements, I did
not try to restrict the global elements.

Possibly we could use the @abstract="true" on global substitutable
elements to restrict validating instances. It would take a fair amount
of work to rework this. It would also mean that we need to get agreement
on which elements will be eligible for extension by substitution;
earlier discussions indicated that people favored opening up
extensibility and options for reuse. So we have accepted the tradeoffs
for that design choice.

I think it will be very difficult to establish a universally preferred
design pattern for xsd schema because there is an intrinsic flexibility
in w3c schema that supports pursuing quite different goals (yielding
different tradeoffs/side-effects following a choice).