Subject: RE: Question on cpa "service" ID vs BPSS process ID

Here are some of my responses to some good questions about the
historically problematic
alignment of service in ebMS and our current alignment in CPPA with
BPSS.

It may be time to straighten this out in the maintenance release 2.1 of
CPPA

Comments welcome.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Capell [mailto:steve.capell@redwahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 5:27 PM
To: Dale Moberg
Cc: anthony.ellis@redwahoo.com
Subject: Question on cpa "service" ID vs BPSS process ID

Dale,

I sent this message to the list a few days ago but did not get a reply.
Do you have any insights.?

****

To my mind, an ebXML MSH Service / Action defines the specific service

Dale> we generally view service as a package or class and action as a
function or method.
So the combination labels a specific source/sink of a data stream in a
way.

that is to be invoked on the receiver party side in a collaboration.

Dale> well, we think of it the sender pushing a stream towards some data
sink on the receiver side
the action is semantically more on the side of the sender than a label
for the process, but it probably
does not make too much difference.

  In other words it is role specific and maps very nicely to, say, a
WSDL PortType.

Service actually maps to portType while action maps to operation, sort
of.

 Correspondingly, an ebXML MSH Action maps nicely to a WSDL Operation.

Yes, but sometimes an operation is an action pair. Actions are not
intrinsically req resp pairs.

 The ebXML MS 2.0 specification seems to support this position:

The ebXML Messaging service specification (ebMS2) states:

843 "Note: In the context of an ebXML business process model, an action
equates to the lowest possible role based activity in the Business
Process [ebBPSS] (requesting or responding role) and a service is a set
of related actions for an authorized role within a party."

However, the CPPA spec says that the service element in the CPA (that
maps to the service element in the MS header) MUST be the uuid of the
BPSS process specification.

Dale> Yes, we are not very happy with uuid being used as service, but
that was what BPSS said to use.
It means that a BPSS instance can only be one service.

  That conflicts with the statement in the ebMS specification and also
seems counter-intuitive.

 The BPSS process specification is a much higher level element than a
single party service.

Dale> Agreed.

The ebXML CPP / CPA specification (ebcpp-2.0) states:

1225 "If the Process-Specification document is defined by the ebXML
Business Process Specification Schema[ebBPSS], then the value of the
Service element MUST be the uuid (URI) attribute specified for the
ProcessSpecification element in the Business Process Specification
Schema instance document. "

Can someone confirm the correct interpretation?

Dale> Yes we hope to reach a new realignment on these notions. We want
to allow that multiparty BPSS instances
have multiple services. That would be a step in straightening this out I
think you would agree.

Steve Capell

Red Wahoo Pty Ltd

+61 410 437854