Subject: CPP and CPA MIME (or media) type.

Hi CPPA TC,

As mentioned on the Sep 10 Teleconference, an IETF draft specifying a
simple request-response EDIINT certificate exchange protocol has
recently been written and should appear before too long to permit the
EDIINT IETF group to review and comment.

That internet-draft has a provision for a profile to be sent along with
the request for activation of certificates by a potential trading
partner. One candidate for such a profile would be ebXML CPPA 2.1 with
its provision for alternative messaging "bindings".

It is possible to just send out a CPP profile or template in a MIME
bodypart (part of a multipart/related package). That part could have a
content-type of "application/xml". However, when sending CPPs or CPAs,
we could define a more specialized MIME type to indicate more
specifically what kind of application this xml is for. There is a RFC
that suggests appending "+xml" to types; for example, we might have
"application/ebXML-CPPA+xml" as a MIME type. There is some overhead in
getting a MIME type, and an application process. I believe since CPPA is
both an ISO std and an OASIS std, we should be able to meet the
application requirements for a "media type".

I would like to get your reactions to this proposal in next week's
teleconference before we get into the session on Kartha's review of
issues and solutions for finalizing the Negotiation draft.

Thanks,
Dale Moberg