Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] The importance of the CPA

Thanks to Dale and the CPPA TC to invite me to todays meeting to discuss
the idea of a ebXML CPPA TC Technical Note (TN) titled something like:

    "Using ebXML Registry to Manage CPP/A Artifacts "

Following are some specific use cases that could be addressed by the
proposed TN:

-CPPs and CPAs automatically get validated upon submission to registry
via business rules defined by the proposed TN (e.g. role MUST be Buyer,
Seller or Intermidary - just a poor example to illustrate the point).
The CPP submission is rejected if validation fails. The business rule
could be whatever you want it to be and is not simply XML schema
validation.

-CPPs and CPAs automatically get cataloged upon submission where
selected content in CPP or CPA is converted into metadata as specified
by the TN. For example, this could be used to it could be automatically
classify a CPP by its supported Roles and enable queries like: "Find me
all CPPs where the role is 'Buyer'".

-Discovery of CPP and CPA can be supported via custom queries defined by
the TN. Example is, find me all Plumbing Suppliers in North Dakota.

-Discovery of BPSS related to a CPA or vice-versa

-CPP and CPA can be automatically versioned in a controlled way. Version
management is handled by the registry.

-Relationships can defined between Organizations and the CPPs and CPAs
associated with them

-Interested parties may be automatically notified when a CPP or CPA they
are interested in, changes in some way (submitted, updated, approved,
versioned, deprectaed, undeprecated, deleted, used). For example an
interested party may be notified whenever a CPP for a Buyer in Auto
industry is published.

-Complete access control can be defined for CPPs and CPAs managed by the
registry. This supports Role Based Access Control where roles may be
defined by the TN or partners.

-All CPP and CPA are available over an HTTP and SOAP interface (modulo
access control) in a federated environment

The above list can provide a basis for our discussion on the proposed TN
in today's meeting. Look forward to meeting you all today.

Thanks.

ebXML Registry Links:

Suggested minimal reading order is: [6], [10] and [9].

[6] is a good short reading to catch up on ebXML Registry
[10] is a good source to see how to map between a domain specific model
and ebXML Registry
[9] is similar in concept to the proposed TN

[0] [Ann] freebXML Registry version 3.0-alpha2 release

[1] freebXML Registry

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net

[2] Reference Deployments of freebXML Registry

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/aboutFAQ/About_freebXML_Registry.html#Deployments

[3] ebXML Registry 2.1 Specifications (Approved OASIS and ISO Standard)

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/regrep/documents/2.1/specs

[4] ebXML Registry 2.6 Specifications (Latest preliminary 3.0 drafts)

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/8475/ebRIM-2.6.doc
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/8476/ebRS-2.6.doc

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/regrep/documents/2.5/specs

[5] ebXML Registry Technical Committee

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/regrep/

[6] Web Content Management using ebXML Registry (XML Europe 2004):

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/xmlEurope2004/xmlEurope2004-webcm-ebxmlrr.ppt

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/xmlEurope2004/xmlEurope2004-webcm-ebxmlrr.sxi

http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/presentations/xmlEurope2004/04-02-02.pdf

[7] Java API for XML Registries

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=93

[8] LDAP, UDDI and ebXML Registry feature comparison matrix
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/tmp/Registry_Capability_Matrix.html

[9] Using ebXML Registry to Manage WSRP Artifacts

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/7538/wsrp-pfb-ebxml-tn-draft-05.pdf

[10] ebXML Registry Tutorial (Draft)
http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/tmp/regrep-tutorial-draft-04.pdf

Farrukh