Subject: [Fwd: Re: (no subject)]

This is an additional input from Stephen Green on UBL Small Business
Subset and our discussions in ebBP and CPPA.  I apologize for not
forwarding it sooner for Stephen. Thanks.
--- Begin Message ---
Monica

Thanks for this. I can't post to ebXML-CPPA but I'd just like to add two
things

1. A new package has been prepared and can be found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/12639/UBL-1-0-SBS-1-0-beta-2-2005-05-15.zip
(the beta is still in progress but nearing a public review stage, I hope)

2. Just to emphasise that the subset does not define new schemas; it
requires users to continue
to send messages using the standard UBL 1.0 schemas. It provides what
amounts to a set of
recommended elements and attributes of the standard UBL documents to support
in a limited
implementation. It uses an extra URI just to allow a party to communicate to
another its wish
to limit its implementation of the standard UBL documents to the specified
subset whilst still
expecting the documents to be fully conformant to the UBL 1.0 schemas.

Jon Bosak recently summed this up in a slide included in a report to the UBL
plenary in China
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/12522/plen-rpt-20050509.pdf
Quote:
"UBL 1.0 Small Business Subset (SBS)
● The UBL Small Business Subcommittee (SBSC) is working on the
creation of a subset of UBL designed for small businesses
● The SBS does not provide new schemas; it just specifies which pieces
of the standard UBL 1.0 schemas need to be supported in minimal
SBS implementations
● Therefore, every SBS-conformant UBL document is a valid UBL 1.0
document
● In parallel, the UBL Human Interface Subcommittee (HISC) is creating
a set of input specifications for the SBS that will enable the creation of
SBS-compliant forms input software (for example, XForms that will
make OpenOffice into a UBL input tool)
● We will be suggesting to XML software vendors that SBS-conformant
forms and document templates be incorporated into their packages to
provide generic small business support
● ECALGA may provide a similar subset for Japanese users"

I hope this helps

Many thanks

Stephen Green