ebxml-iic-msg message

Subject: Re: [ebxml-iic-msg] MS Conformance checklist: comments

To all,

    Sorry it took this long to respond.   I was digesting the mail sent, and in particular studying the situation we have regarding the need for a "testing API" if we are to follow the approach Jacques outlines in his paper:  "ebXML MS Conformance Testing: An Approach".   This paper clearly infers that an API exists between the Test Driver and Candidate MSH ( an MSH adapter ) for "Sending Pattern" and "Receiving Pattern" . Two-way pattern" does not require control on the Candidate side, and appears to be the only choice we have without an MSH adapter on the candidate implementation.

    I have been talking to network people here regarding testing efforts of protocols in the past, with the main question being.. what do we lose if we do a "black box" approach to testing ( via a "service" as opposed to an API approach to testing? ).

    The answer is, of course that you lose a good amount of control over the process by not having access to the candidate's inner workings, and will have to rely on returned message responses, or message traces in the header to determine the inner workings and conformance of a candidate implementation. Lack of a standardized API for ebXML MS certainly complicates matters, and asking implementors at this point to agree on an API, or for that matter a testing API I believe would be difficult.
    Perhaps a "black box" testing effort, done via an external service will get the conformance effort going, and as testing evolves, a standardized API will be developed.
     The "Two-way pattern" Jacques describes in his paper would appear to be the scenario that we could implement without a testing API.

      I reply to Jacques and Matt's comments below.

Jacques Durand wrote:

I suspect Michael Kass has not subscribed to this elist,
as he is unusually mute on all these mails (in fact, I am almost sure of that,
as it is my privilege to get a notification of who is subscribing :)

Michael: you have to subscribe (see OASIS site), or else we assume you are
OK with all the work items we deflect on you!

Matt: just a few more comments below.

Jacques