Subject: [ebxml-iic] Re: MS conf clause follow up

Hi David:

Thanks for your quick reply. I am sharing it with IIC, as it seems
we need to work fast on the Conf Clause for MSG spec and I'd like to see
more feedback before we submit one...
See below my comments.

>Another issue which came up was conformance profiles.  I informed MSG that the
>IIC group would be creating conformance profiles.  They asked if those profiles
>would be in the MSG spec.  My answer was "no -- separate spec".  Was I correct?

Actually, the conformance clause is supposed to be in the spec, as a separate
section.
Let me quote the OASIS Guidelines:
"...The conformance clause is a section of a specification that defines the
requirements, criteria, or conditions that must be satisfied to claim conformance.
The conformance clause identifies what must conform and how conformance can be met.
Typically it is a high-level description of what is required of implementers and
application developers.  It may refer to other parts of the standard.  It may
specify sets of functions, which may take the form of profiles, levels, or other
structures.  Additionally, it may specify minimal requirements for certain functions
and minimal requirements for implementation-dependent values.  It may also specify
the permissibility of extensions, options, and alternative approaches and how they
are to be handled. .."

In other words, it's a kind of meta-level statement telling what part of the spec
need be
implemented, to match a conformance level.

>It is important to the MSG group to define a Baseline (Core) functionality with
>a minimum of elements/parameters/modules.  Conformance profiles beyond this are
>not being discussed.  If there is a specific conformance clause you would like
>to insert in the MSG spec, please let me know.

At this point, I think we all agree to define  the baseline first. But as there may
be later other
profiles/levels, we are very concerned that any explicit "core" vs. "optional"
qualifier in the spec body
(at module level) will bring confusion at that time.
So, even for the baseline, we would like to see a separate, explicit conformance
clause that
defines it, and that explicitly gathers in the same area of the spec all the
requirements to be met.
A kind of check-list for implementors, to go through to make sure they meet the
requirements.
Something like:
--------------------------  conformance clause level 1 (sart) -------

"Level 1 of conformance with this specification is the baseline for any MSH
implementation.
In order to meet this level of conformance, an MSH instance must satisfy the
following conditions:

Condition #1: Implement the specification material in Section 2 about the message
SOAP packaging functions.
Condition #2: Implement the specification material in Section 3 about the core
extension elements.
Condition #3: Implement the specification material in Section 4.1 about the
security  module.
Condition #4: Implement the specification material in Section 4.2 about the error
handling  module.
Condition #5: Implement or use a SOAP messaging over at least one of the two
transport protocols:
(1) HTTP, or (2) SMTP.

Any MSH instance that does not satisfy any of the five above conditions cannot be
said conformant to
the ebXML MS specification neither at Level 1 nor at any level above.

Note: Implementing specification material assumes compliance with the ISO / IETF
keywords
that govern mandatory, optional and recommendation requirements included in the
specification body."

 ------------------------ conformance clause level 1 (end)---------

Note: the sample clause above is just a sample... in fact, we have strong reserve
about security in the baseline,
and would rather see some test-supporting feature instead (like Ping).
We'll suggest this in a more formal proposal this week. (Your input is welcome here
too)

I'd like to add that all this is not just an exercise of style... we'd rather all
focus on  implementations issues and
practical validation in the IIC, but  there are potentially some future legal issues
behind all this, and it is worth
spending time on careful wording now.

>Please keep in mind that the
>MSG, CPPA and BPSS specs are each orthogonal and (at least MSG) must function
>without the other two.

I understand. I guess Imagiri meant more "compatibility" than "interoperability"
(Imagiri?)
But even so it is expected that, say, "some" level of CPPA  be required when
implementing an MSH.
MS V1.05 actually makes several references to CPA specs, (besides using the -
required - CPAid element):
(quote V1.05, section 1.2.2):
"...The important point is that an ebMS-compliant MSH shall respect the in-force
agreements between
itself and any other ebMS-compliant MSH with which it communicates.
In broad terms, these agreements are expressed as Collaborative Profile Agreements

So our point is here that if a spec is referring to another spec, the "levels" of
conformance for each one
should be consistent. And again, we may not have an immediate problem with this
today, but
in the future, specs can only become more depending on each other (just a guess)...