Subject: Re: [ebxml-iic] on involving other TCs

Bob,

In the case of BPSS, when a conformance effort begins what would likely
happen is that we would develop an instance of the Conformance
Requirements schema from assertions made in the BPSS specification.  In
order to facilitate this process, the BPSS team really only needs to
make assertions clear.  For example, assertions such as the following
example would be very useful:

<example>
Section 3.1
All instances of BPSS MUST conform to the BPSS schema found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/tc/bpss/schema.xsd.

Section 3.1.1
All BPSS elements MUST be namespace qualified to http://www.oasis-
open.org/namespace/bpss.

Section 3.1.2
A BPSS processor MAY discard or otherwise ignore elements not namespace
qualified as defined
in 3.1.1.
</example>

Basically, by being as explicit and clear as practically possible in
spec writing you are helping future test efforts immensely by leaving
fewer grey areas.

As far as addressing well-formedness rules, I think BPSS is covered
there simply by saying that instances MUST conform to the BPSS schema.
A valid XML Schema will not condone invalid XML, unless the schema
processor's underlying XML parser is ignorant of the XML specification,
and does something stupid like allowing multiple root elements :-)

Hope this helps,

-Matt