Subject: [ebxml-iic] Last ebXML IIC face-to-face meeting at NIST

Title: Last ebXML IIC face-to-face meeting at NIST

Hi all:

First, Let us plan for a teleconf this Monday Apr 22nd - anyone volunteers to host it?

---------------

Thanks to those attending the joint ebXML / OAG f-2-f meeting at NIST last week.
Those who could not will hopefully have other oportunities soon (XML Europe, and possibly
a f-2-f on west coast some time this summer).

Overall, the joint meetings (OAG Testbed / ebXML IIC) showed synergy with OAG testbed team
and interest from OAG users, who are in fact also (future) ebXML users.
OAG is clearly committed to ebXML, and we also presented the MS upgrade design
that IIC had previously suggested for the OAG/NIST Testbed. Following this upgrade design,
the testbed could also host IIC tests (though that should just remain an option for IIC).
Latest OAG experiments with XML testing technology (e.g. Schematron) used for content conformance
to OAG "BODs" may also be of interest to us, for MS conformance.

And it was certainly useful to have direct feedback from NIST, very well represented
(Lynn Rosenthal, from OASIS Conformance TC, Len Gallagher also involved in ebXML Registry,
Mike Kass, Nenad I. from Testbed team.) Thanks to them for hosting this.
We will certainly follow-up with NIST, leveraging their expertise.
Also present was Patrick Gannon, president of OASIS, who initiated some discussion with NIST.

Some observations made:

- MS conformance and interoperability share architecture features, and some
testing procedures / XML technology. We should look at them more together.
- we need to address other ebXML areas (reg-rep) where there is already some testing activity.
Again we expect some standardization of test case coding across ebXML areas.

Among our presentations (attendence not restricted to IIC):

- ebXML MS upgrade design for the OAG/NIST Testbed (Jacques).

- Prakash S. went over interoperability experience in RosettaNet, and outlined
an interop test plan for ebXML MS that we commented on.

- Michael K. presented the status of MS conformance tests, to an audience
larger than just IIC.

- Jacques outlined latest version of  test architecture(s) that could host both conformance
and interop tests.

I will be quite busy this week on other things, so won't have time to write a
more detailed report. Instead, I propose we complete our presentation materials based
on the verbal feedback we got during the meeting, extend it, and soon after give a shot at
a first draft of a testing guidelines document. More precisely:

(A)- Matt McK. & Michael K. could (1) wrap-up the set of test items for
core MS conformance (2) address XML coding and processing of test material (test cases,
trace, message templates...)

(B)- Prakash S. & Steve Y. will then continue to define a test plan, gathering expertise from IIC.
Also, will look at test driver technology (from message input material to MSH calls)

- Jacques will refine the test architecture(s) design to support (A) and (B).

So let us discuss this more on the next conf call...

Anything else that need attention? (let me know if I missed something...)

Regards,

jacques Durand
ebXML IIC chair