Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] Re: [ebxml-iic] Simple trading partner configurationfor ebMS

+1

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

                      Matthew MacKenzie
                      <matt@xmlglobal.         To:       Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
                      com>                     cc:       Dale Moberg <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com>, "Cppalist (E-mail)"
                                                <ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org>, ebxml-iic@lists.oasis-open.org
                      08/27/2002 11:16         Subject:  Re: [ebxml-cppa] Re: [ebxml-iic] Simple trading partner
                      AM                        configuration for ebMS

Marty,

The 'what do you leave out' question is precisely the reason I came up
with the idea of

a) writing my own TPA schema, or
b) adding "profiles" to CPP/A.

As for profiles, maybe we should start by defining what a couple of
them might be.  Forget about the minOccurs problems for the moment --
there are ways to work around that.

Profile A: Standard CPA (done!)
Profile B: Simple ebXML Messaging (ala Simple TPA)
Profile B1: Simple ebXML Messaging + multiple delivery channels per
party.
more?...

-Matt

On Monday, Aug 26, 2002, at 13:51 America/Vancouver, Martin W Sachs
wrote:

> [...]
>> Negotiation Descriptor Document to show what elements and attributes
>> are
>> modifiable. So, doing it the way I described would also be conformant
>> with
>> the automated negotiation specification when it is approved. This
>> would
>> also facilitate using a CPA composition tool to compose the subset
>> CPAs.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marty

>> *
>> **************
>>
>> Martin W. Sachs
>> IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
>> P. O. B. 704
>> Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
>> 914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
>> Notes address:  Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM
>> Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com
>> *
>> **************
>>

>>                       Matthew MacKenzie
>>                       <matt@xmlglobal.         To:       Martin W
>> Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
>>                       com>                     cc:       Dale Moberg
>> <dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com>, "Cppalist (E-mail)"
>>
>> <ebxml-cppa@lists.oasis-open.org>, ebxml-iic@lists.oasis-open.org
>>                       08/25/2002 10:23         Subject:  Re:
>> [ebxml-cppa] Re: [ebxml-iic] Simple trading partner
>>                       PM                        configuration for ebMS
>>

>> Marty,
>>
>> Your comments are right on the money.  I don't really want to start
>> flooding the world with more standards, but I really want to see a
>> simple and short TPA in the spirit of the schema I just sent out.  The
>> "profile" concept is interesting.  I would like to see a set of
>> profiles in the form of a few schemas which use the core CPPA schema
>> as
>> a type library.  Each schema would have a slightly different
>> namespace,
>> so that a CPPA implementation would be able to understand which
>> profile
>> is in use.
>>
>> Does that jive with what you were thinking?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On Sunday, August 25, 2002, at 12:43  PM, Martin W Sachs wrote:
>>

>>> Matt,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the proposal. I'm sure that the team will give it serious
>>> attention.
>>>
>>> I have a concerrn that publishing a normative subset schema may
>>> confuse
>>> more than it will help. It is not clear that only one subset schema
>>> would
>>> be sufficient. I have the following thoughts.
>>>
>>> What may be the right subset schema for your customer set is not
>>> necessarily the right one for other customer sets. Another approach,
>>> which
>>> has worked well in other feature-rich standards, is to define one or
>>> more
>>> "CPPA Profiles" that apply to different customer sets, industry
>>> etc. Such a profile defines those features that enterprises in a
>>> given
>>> "sub-industry" must support.  It can specify values for those
>>> elements
>>> and
>>> attributes are the same in every CPP or CPA in the group and list
>>> those
>>> features whose cardinality includes minOccurs="0" that are not to be
>>> used.
>>> Each profile would include CPP and CPA Templates (a prototype of the
>>> subset
>>> CPP or CPA) that expose the required features and leave out
>>> everything
>>> not
>>> needed whose cardinality includes minOccurs="0". These profiles could
>>> be
>>> developed by the appropriate industry groupings, coordinating with
>>> the
>>> CPPA
>>> team. The could be published either by the individual groupings or by
>>> OASIS
>>> as technical reports. With this approach, there is no need to have
>>> subset
>>> schemas since the subset CPPs and CPAs would validate against the
>>> standard
>>> CPPA schema. Also, by not omitting CPPA elements and attributes whose
>>> cardinality is greater than zero, standard CPA deployment tools and
>>> run-
>>> time middleware would be able to handle the subset CPAs.
>>>
>>> A CPP-CPA composition tool could be designed to be tailored for
>>> profiles
>>> and to show the CPP or CPA author minimal complexity.  Its GUI would
>>> present to the author only those elements and attributes that require
>>> decisions for the selected profile.  Elements and attributes of
>>> cardinality
>>> minOccurs="0" that the profile defines as absent would not be shown
>>> the