Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa] RE: [ebxml-iic] Simple trading partner configurationfor ebMS

Hi,

Dale Moberg wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> I skimmed the schema you provided. I guess it
> is one of the "70/30" optimization gambits.
> Anders from OpenEbXML has proposed a similar
> lightweight schema within the JSR 157 group.

Yes, we are working as set of ebXML TPA models, called Minimal TPA, Extensible TPA and Business
Level Agreement (BLA). We are doing this in the context of our interest in trade facilitation for
SME's and developing countries.

We consider the OASIS CPPA to have a number of flaws worth examining, apart from the patent problem.

1. Complexity, its a large specification, assimple count reveals more that 80+ specifications
elements. This way to large for the average global SME.

2. The spec is lacking support for pieces of information found in EDI agreement.

3. Inflexibility, the spec is fairly rigid, lacking much needed extensibility mechanisms.

4. Lacking support for vital ebXML architectural elements.

A survey is being conducted regionally i Europe regading the use of EDI agreements and early
analysis indicates two trends, 1. Most organisations find EDI agreement useful 2. Almost all
organisations have exended origials agreements to fit their needs.

The second finding indicates that extensibility is of vital importance and we feel that current
version of CPPA is not what is being asked for.

It is quite possible to adapt OAIS CPPA and create a concept of profiles but still items 2-4 are not
solved. And adding new specification elements is not really a simplifying activity.

I hope we in the Open ebXML Laboratory have time to finish of some papers so I can bring it with me
to the UN/CEFACT meeting in sept.

/anders
--
/  Anders W. Tell , Financial Toolsmiths AB             /