Subject: [ebxml-iic] IIC 9/17/2002: CPA 'deployment profile' vs. CPA testframework 'profile'

Comments inline.

Thanks. Monica

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacques Durand [mailto:JDurand@fsw.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 7:55 PM
To: Monica Martin; Jacques Durand; michael.kass@nist.gov;
matt@xmlglobal.com
Cc: 'pete@seebeyond.com'; 'steven.yung@sun.com';
'He@ipnetsolutions.com'; 'ericv@kinzan.com'
Subject: RE: IIC 9/3/2002: [offline] Query from OAG-NIST-ebXML Test Bed

Any idea on simplifying CPA expression/usage?
I can see there is  a need for user to make their CPA-editing easier...
[Monica Martin] Would we consider first a 'vanilla' CPA of mandatory
elements.  I agree that the ongoing JSR work (believe it is JSR) is
looking at developing an API for CPA that could simplify the process.
Dale Moberg could give more details here ( dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com
<mailto:dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com> ).

I would suggest we are very clear here: As we delve into CPA 'profiles'
we have to keep in mind that we are also starting to formalize how we
think about CPA and its function in the test framework, if only
indirectly.  Therefore, I would suggest we look for some distinction
about boundaries we develop and equate to the deployment and use of CPA
'profiles' from the test function/position that the CPA takes within the
test framework (starting idea of the CPA conformance levels that may
equate to a profile).  I think we have too many profiles which could
cause confusion.  Perhaps we should look at CPA 'deployment profiles'
and CPA conformance levels/'test profiles'.

Note: we face same issue for defining CPA data for our test case, and
also
that concerns "deployment templates / profiles" that Pete Wenzel works
on..
So could our solution here also apply to users?
That could mean two things:
[Monica Martin] See comments relevant to this above.

- define some pre-canned CPA "profiles", that still make room
for parameterization (the whole thing made easy to user, e.g. through
HTML forms).
(could that be implemented using same "template" mechanism as for our
test case material?)
[Monica Martin] Use of a template concept for 'deployment profile' and
the preparation for an ebMS test which also uses it is a good start
(different uses, same premises for use).

- clearly isolate the subsets of CPA that are relevant to (1) MSH, (2)
BSI,
and make it possible for users to specify these paramters separately, in
some format.
(also useful for our test cases). (Matt will propose something here?)
[Monica Martin] I believe that, in the context of the test framework, we
are talking now about conformance level/'test profiles.'  I see this as
a separate item from the CPA 'deployment profiles' we encourage until
such time as we set they start to converge.

- Nevertheless, we need to be able to re-create a complete, conforming
CPA (using
template/profile approach above?) as some implementation (MSH, BSI) will
assume
direct access to a CPA doc.
[Monica Martin] See my comments above.

Monica: feel free to submit related issue to the list.