Subject: [ebxml-iic] Re: comments on new test material

Jacques,

Please see my comments below

At 03:50 PM 9/23/2002 -0700, Jacques Durand wrote:
Mike:

I like the new test material upgrades definitely better...Some comments on your latest draft of MS Test Cases:

- we need also to set the CPAId of messages we generate: that would set the CPA
that should govern each test case. (the new "$CPA_xyz" parameters would allow to
use elements of such referenced CPAs, in "Conditions)

- The new operation "Condition" should only include logical conditions and relational operators
(<,>,==,!=), not assignments (=) like the XPAth expr used to prepare a message to be sent out (for a PutMessage).
So these assignments could be left as arguments of the PutMessage op (in its "message expression" field)
like they were before.

- just a matter of format: The arguments for SetPayload, (Content-Type =..., COntent-Id =...) should be treated
like any other "message expressions" (so should be in this field, like the XPath expressions).

[MIKE] - Agreed and done.  See latest attachment

- The semantics of the Condition attached to a GetMessage op,  is one of a filter (that typically selects
a message based on COnversationID and RefToMessageId, to actually decide whether or not to pick
an incoming message, as further test material.)
It is different than other COnditions, which only work on message material already in store, from past steps.
For this reason, I'd keep the "filter" conditions in "message Expressions" of the GetMessage op itself (i.e. they
are "parameters" of GetMessage, as they help do the selection).

[MIKE] - Agreed.. I'd go a step further and suggest that we assume a standard "filter of CPAId, ConversationId and
MessageId.. and not even write out the filter statement for <GetMessage>.. this more likely will fit the ultimate
implementation XML of:
<GetMessage cpaId="abc" conversationId='def' messageId='ghi'>

    <Condition>.....</Condition>  <!-- this only applies to real condition/conformance test filtering -->
    <Condition>..</Condition>      <!-- this only applies to real condition/conformance test filtering -->

</GetMessage>

It will also simplify the look of the abstract tests.  Comments?

For some other "Condition" operations,
(like the ones on "optional" material, or the ones used for final verification) we could dissociate them from GetMessage
and make them really separate ops (or steps)...
(Should we "flatten" our steps, and have roughly each one of your table row correspond to a step - after Get and Put
have their related expressions - message builders and filters - back in their "message expr" fields?)

[MIKE] -  My concern with flattening has to do with associating <Condition>s with a particular <GetMessage>...
The way things are currently defined we have:

<TestCase>
   <Step>
       <PutMessage/>
   </Step>
   <Step>
      <GetMessage>
          <Condition1/>
          <Condition2/>
      </GetMessage>
</TestCase>

You are suggesting:

<TestCase>
   <Step>
      <PutMessage/>
   </Step>
   <Step>GetMessage></Step>
   <Step>
      <Condition1/>
   </Step>
   <Step>
      <Condition2/>
   </Step>
</TestCase>

By flattening. it appears that you lose the containership "parent/child" relationship between a <GetMessage> a particular message,
and all of the <Condition> filters associated with it.  Everything's a step, with no association between the
steps.  That is why XML containership is important, in my opinion. Even though we are describing this in an "abstract" sense, there
are some real-world consequences if we do not adequately describe the relationships between our test components.
When we code the test driver, this will be important.

Tables like the one we are using for describing the Abstract Tests are not well suited to represent containership. I
represent that containership through the use of the Step # column, with the only steps defined as either a <SetMessage>
or <GetMessage>.

Using object oriented principles, these <Steps> could return any number of exceptions, depending on which object generates
a which type of a fatal exception.  Looking at this now, I would probably go a step further and using object oriented design,
change the Condition class to be <TestCondition> or <Condition>.. one throws a "fatalTest" exception, the other a "fatalPrecondition"
exception... rather than having to create an attribute called "errorStatus" that the test writer must assign a value.  So we would
have as potential classes:
<SetMesssage>
<GetMessage>
<TestCondition>
<Condition>
<SetPayload>
<GetPayload>

My feeling is, even though we are describing "abstract" tests, we should consider the implementation consequences of how we
are describing these tests.

I will respond to your other comments separately, within the associated mail message.

Thanks,
Mike