Subject: BPSS test scope issue

The question is "are we testing the whole BSI?", since earlier Jacques calls this BPSS testing as BSI testing. From the review of BPSS (quoted below), it seems that BSI is assumed to cover the all the B2B Collaboration management (which implies CPP and CPA as well). So I think that if we were to focus the testing on BPSS Spec only we should decompose the tests into groups and these tests won't cover the whole BSI.

As I mentioned in the con call, BPSS spec divides the interop requirements into Biz Trax and Biz Coll levels. And as of version 1.05, only Biz Tranx level is required. The question is then (I think this is also Monica question) how we should factor the MSH related parameters (e.g., tamper proof, authorization required, etc.) into these interop requirements. Do we care about these at all or we group these parameter as another set of (vertical) interop requirements (between BSI and MSH) or we should profile these parameters. My feeling is that the second option is a good option b/c 1) these are business/scenario specific requirements 2) dependent on MSH 3) they are not indicated as requirements in the BPSS spec (see section 7.6 and 7.7), and 4) these parameters do not directly effect the success of a tranx/coll, they indicate the necessities to collaborate, i.e, the collaboration wouldn't even start if one partner does not have those required capabilities.

In conclusion my thougt is to decompose the BPSS test requirments into

1 - Biz Tranx level state management

2 - Biz collaboration level state management

3 - BSI-MSI interoperability.

I am not sure about its interaction with CPPA spec.

Quotes from BPSS spec:

Line 620 BPSS - The ebXML Business Process Specification Schema should be used wherever

ebXML compliant software is being specified to execute Business Collaborations.

The generic term for such software is a Business Service Interface (BSI).

The ebXML Business Process Specification Schema is used to specify the

business process related configuration parameters for configuring a BSI to

execute these collaborations.

Line 631 of BPSS - Run-time transaction and collaboration semantics that the ebXML

Business Process Specification Schema specifies and the Business

Service Interface (BSI) is expected to manage.

Line 672 of BPSS - Guided by the CPP and CPA specifications the resulting XML document then

becomes the configuration file for one or more Business Service Interfaces (BSI),

i.e. the software that will actually manage either partner’s participation in the

collaboration.

*** These indicates that BSI scope also includes CPP/CPA

- Serm

New! NIST Testbed Web Site - http://www.mel.nist.gov/msid/oagnisttestbed/
Boonserm (Serm) Kulvatunyou, Ph.D.
Guest Researcher
Manufacturing System Integration Division.
On Assigment from Oak Ridge Associated Universities
100 Bureau Dr. MS 8260 Gaithersburg MD 20899-8260
phone: 301-975-6775, fax: 301-975-4482
mail: serm@nist.gov, http://serm.ws