Subject: Re: [ebxml-iic] IIC minutes, and more

> 1. Test Requirements (also called Test Assertions in literature)
>
> (See Test Framework Section 5.)
> A statement more formal than the spec narrative about conformance
> requirements, with more structure.
> The Test req identifies more precisely the material to be tested (e.g.
> the message content, the state of the
> implentation under test, or some other specific behavior of the impl
> under test: message sending, timing.
> It also identifies formally under which conditions the requirement
> applies.
> When creating test requirements, no assumption or restriction is made
> based on testing methodology (e.g. black box).
> Authors of a specification should be able to draft test requirements
> without knowledge of the test environment
> that will verify these.

mm1: Suggest you indicate that the test requirement development is
independent of the test environment,  Therefore test requirements
can be developed without explicit knowledge underlying infrastructure or
environment (i.e. an implementation of the test environment
designed to support the framework).

> 2. Abstract test Cases:
> ---------------------------------
> An abstract test case more precisely verifies a test requirement, or
> parts of it (e.g. by defining a subset of
> situations where the test requirement applies.).
> It defines detailed test material (e.g. message content, or test
> conditions), defines test steps.
> It is precise enough so that the testing could be executed by an agent
> (human or processor) and repeated with similar results.
>
> It is more restricted than a test requirement, because focusing (1) on
> the observable behavior (generally black-box),
> and (2) on the available controls for the implementation under test.
> For example, for ebMS, (1) is primarily the messages generated on the
> wire, the message data passed to the application,
> plus errors and notifications to application. (2) is limited to the
> following material and actions: input (received) messages,
>
> configuration with CPA data, MSH shutting down / starting. Any test
> requirement involving some state or material for which the
>
> original specification does not describe any standard input/output,
> interface or control, cannot be expressed as is by
> an abstract test case, as it would be at the discretion of each
> implementation.

mm1: Perhaps we should indicate that discretion should be used when the
reference specification does not explicitly or specifically
describe the standard input/output, interface or control or the
mechanisms used for specific functions.  My comment: When an abstract test
cases may need to describe functions that include an implementation or
design component outside of the test framework (or any of our
'specifications') responsibility, it is a design choice what mechanisms
are used.  The persistent store is a prime example.

> This is the case about requirements about the state of the persistence
> store that is supposed to be part of an
> MSH implementation: persistence of a message cannot be directly
> observed, only its effect on the overall behavior
> of the MSH (e.g. resending the messsage after a shutdown/recovery) can
> be observed in an abstract test case.
>

> 3. Concrete test cases:
> ---------------------------------
> A concrete test case uses and assumes an instance of the Test
> Framework, i.e. a specific test harness.
> It is a translation of an abstract test case into the material
> specified by this Test Framework version.

mm1: I would say that the concrete test case is a detailed or explicit
representation(s) of the abstract test case that is fully specified and in
line with the Test Framework.  It also, even if implicitly, provides the
confidence that the test framework and the original/reference
specification provided enough clarity to define and execute against the
test requirements in support of the specification requirements.

I would suggest we focus on what the framework can do, and why a test
framework may or may not be the appropriate venue
to verify reference specification requirements.  If you look at the
example below, you see that the application level interactions,
interfaces, processing
fit into this category. I think these are parameters we place on the
test framework, not exclusively its limitations.  Think (+) not (- - can't).

Thanks.